Leeds Man And Lawyers Seek Information Regarding Two Employers
A retired maintenance fitter from Leeds who was diagnosed with terminal asbestos-related cancer is calling on his former colleagues to help him gain answers regarding his diagnosis ‘before it’s too late’.
Anthony Karle, 71, who was brought up in Castleford but now lives in Methley, was admitted to Pinderfields Hospital in November last year and needed his lung drained of fluid.
Following a series of tests it was finally confirmed in January that he had developed mesothelioma – a cancer of the lining of the lung linked to asbestos exposure.
After receiving the devastating news, the father-of-two and grandfather-of-two instructed specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate his illness and whether it may ultimately be linked to his work history.
Now, as part of their ongoing investigations, the legal experts are seeking more information on the conditions that Anthony would have faced while working for United Glass in Castleford between 1965 and 1984 and during his employment with Allied Glass in Leeds from 1989 to 2013.
Expert Opinion“This is sadly yet another case in which a man who worked in an industrial environment for many years has gone on to develop an asbestos-related cancer.
While Anthony has provided us with a comprehensive account of his contact with asbestos during his time with these employers, we now require further details in order to move his search for answers and justice forward.
While medical staff sadly cannot do anything for Anthony with regards to curing his cancer, we at least hope we can provide Anthony and his family with vital answers and also help him receive the quality care and treatment he deserves.
As such, we would be hugely grateful to anyone who may be able to shed light on these companies.”
Lucy Andrews - Solicitor
Anthony started work at United Glass’s site on Albion Street in Castleford shortly after leaving school as a 15-year-old.
He married Susan, 70, in 1970. The couple have a son, Matthew, and a daughter, Louise.
Anthony recalled: “My initial role was in the stores and I would handle a range of products while I was in there. Among them were a number of asbestos-related items, including asbestos sheeting, tape and gloves.
“After that I became a maintenance fitter and would use asbestos throughout the course of my work. Machinery would be insulated from the cold with the sheeting, while we even at one point made asbestos curtains to act as draft excluders.
“Work was also undertaken to install new furnaces and rebuild systems every few years and this would mean lots of dust was generated from lagging. A few of my tasks also saw me wear asbestos gloves, while we also used the material to make tongs to lift glass bottles. All of this meant at the end of the day I was covered in dust.”
Anthony left United Glass around 1984 and after a period of trying other jobs he returned to life as a maintenance fitter with Allied Glass in Leeds. He recalls that for some time similar processes to those at United Glass were in place, including the use of asbestos to insulate machinery.
He said: “Being told I had mesothelioma was very hard to take and now I am just desperate to understand whether more could and should have been done to keep me safe from the risks of exposure.
“While nothing will change what has happened, I feel that I deserve answers regarding whether it is linked to my work history. I want to spend as much time with Susan, children and grandchildren and hope that as a family we can find out the answers we deserve before it’s too late.”
Anyone with information which could assist this case is asked to contact Lucy Andrews at Irwin Mitchell’s Leeds office on 0113 394 6782 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling asbestos-related disease cases