Concerns Raised Regarding Issues Linked To Site In Los Gigantes
A family whose all-inclusive break at a holiday resort in Tenerife was “ruined” when they all suffered gastric illness problems have called on specialist lawyers to investigate and help them gain answers.
David Lewis, 42, has revealed how he, his wife Katherine, 38, and their two children George, 11, and Edward, three, all developed symptoms including diarrhoea and vomiting just days into their stay at the Holiday Village Hotel in Los Gigantes, Tenerife.
The family had to call out a local doctor to the hotel room to treat the children. Both boys were prescribed medication but remained unwell for the rest of the holiday.
With the illness continuing to affect them on their return to the UK, the family, from Neath, South Wales, have now instructed Irwin Mitchell’s specialist International Personal Injury team to examine how the problems came to emerge.
The team of legal experts have vast experience in providing support to holidaymakers who have suffered illness on cruise ships and at resorts across the world, helping them to secure both answers and justice regarding such issues.
Expert Opinion“The details provided to us by our clients are concerning and we have already commenced our investigations
“A case like this once again puts a spotlight on how illness problems of this nature are very serious and can have a lasting impact on those affected. With this in mind, we will closely examine their experiences to see whether more could have been done to ultimately prevent this from happening.
“Our primary hope is that our efforts will ensure that, where possible, lessons are learned so hopefully such issues are not seen again.” Clare Pearson - Legal Executive - Associate
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling holiday illness cases
The Lewis family’s holiday at The Holiday Village in Tenerife, which was booked with TUI, trading as First Choice, began on 25 May. All four were suffering with symptoms a number of days into their holiday.
David, a pharmacist, said: “The illness was absolutely horrendous and although it was difficult for all of us it was particularly hard seeing how badly the kids were affected but knowing there was very little we could do about it.
“I had to stop George going to the kids’ club which he was really upset about. We had also been planning to go to the local waterpark which the kids were really excited about but this also had to be cancelled.”
David added: “While we saw some problems like some of the chicken was undercooked, some food being served uncovered and on occasions there was dirty cutlery, we never for one moment thought we would be at risk of falling ill in the way that we did.
“We just want some answers as to how this happened and whether it ultimately could have been avoided as even now we are not feeling completely back to normal. No other families should have to have their precious holidays ruined in this way.”