Twelve Young Boys Hospitalised After Falling Ill With Suspected Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Following Lesson At Manchester Grammar School
Expert Public Health lawyers at leading law firm Irwin Mitchell have called for the cause of a carbon monoxide scare to be urgently identified after 12 boys were treated for suspected poisoning following a scuba diving class at Manchester Grammar School on Monday.
Media reports say the incident happened at Manchester Grammar School's on-site swimming pool in Fallowfield, with one 14-year-old schoolboy still in hospital. Eleven others have been discharged.
Police, along with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and Public Health England, are now investigating Aqualogistics, the Stockport-based company which supplied the air tanks used for the lesson. The company has issued an urgent recall of any unused gas fills (Air, Nitrox or Trimix) as a safety measure.
Expert Opinion“Carbon monoxide is very dangerous and can prove fatal, so it is understandable that these young boys and their families will want to know how something like this could have happened.
“It is encouraging that Aqualogistics has instigated a recall but it is now imperative that the cause is quickly identified and that those affected have answers so that any urgent safety measures can be put in place to prevent further similar incidents.” Amandeep Dhillon - Partner
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste. Breathing it in can make a person unwell, and it can kill if a person is exposed to high levels.
More than 200 people in the UK go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning every year and approximately 50 die as a result.
Emergency services were called to Manchester Grammar School just after 3pm on Monday and two boys were immediately taken to hospital by ambulance.
As a precautionary measure the 10 remaining boys who were on the course were seen at hospital to determine whether they needed treatment.
Greater Manchester Police are looking at the possibility that carbon monoxide was present in the air tanks and have been working with Public Health England to ensure that there is no wider risk to the public or diving community.
If you or a loved one has suffered due to carbon monoxide poisoning, our personal injury solicitors could help you make a No Win No Visit our Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Claims page for more information.