0370 1500 100

Children Call On Dad’s Former Colleagues For Help After His Mesothelioma Death

Asbestos-Related Disease Lawyers Investigating Electrical Engineer’s Asbestos Exposure


The children of a former Oadby man are appealing for his former English Electric Company colleagues to come forward with information about his asbestos exposure after he died following a short battle with mesothelioma, a terminal disease caused by regular contact with the hazardous material decades ago.


Mark Hudson and Nicola Allsebrook instructed expert asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate how their dad, Edward Alan Hudson, who was known to his family and friends as Alan, died shortly after he was diagnosed with mesothelioma.


Alan, who died in November 2015, aged 77, just three months after his diagnosis, believed he was exposed to asbestos during his employment with English Electrical Company in Whetstone, near Leicester, at the company’s Mechanical Engineering Laboratories.


The father-of-two joined the company in 1954 and completed his apprenticeship as an electrical engineer. He remained at the company until 1965 and was involved in the manufacturing of steam and gas turbines.


Sadly, due to the severity of his illness, Alan, from Navenby, Lincoln was unable to provide exact details about his exposure to asbestos, which is the only known cause of mesothelioma, or information on the safety measures in place to protect him and other employees.


Now, his son Mark and daughter Nicola, along with their legal team at Irwin Mitchell are appealing to those who worked alongside him at English Electrical Company in the late 1950s and early 1960s, to come forward with any information they have about the use of asbestos during the manufacturing process.


They would also like to hear about the working conditions at the Leicester premises, the safety measures in place and details about the warnings, if any, provided to employees on the health risks associated with asbestos exposure.


Laura Haigh, an expert asbestos-related disease  lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, who is representing Alan’s children, said: “The dangers of asbestos have been known for some time, but, sadly we continue to see people, like Alan, who believe they were exposed to asbestos during their working lives.


“The substance can cause a range of very serious, and, sometime fatal, conditions and diseases, which can be very difficult for victims and their loved ones to deal with.


“Alan’s children are understandably upset by their father’s death and angry that his death may have been caused by exposure to asbestos during his time working for English Electrical Company. We hope those who worked with Alan will now come forward and help his family find some closure after his tragic death.”


Alan’s son Mark said: “Dad had slowly been getting more and more poorly and struggling for breath but his diagnosis of mesothelioma came as a complete shock to us all. It was extremely hard to come to terms with and it was heartbreaking to see Dad’s health deteriorate so quickly after he was diagnosed.


“We want to understand how he was exposed to asbestos and to find out if more could and should have been done to protect him from the substance at work. We can only hope that by taking legal action we will find the answers to these questions and ensure those who failed to protect him are held accountable in some way.”


Anyone with information on the use of asbestos in the manufacture of steam and gas turbines at English Electrical Company and the working conditions at the firm’s Leicester base should contact Laura Haigh on 0114 274 4420 or email Laura.Haigh@IrwinMitchell.com.

Our expert mesothelioma solicitors will provide you with free initial advice on your compensation claim if you or a loved on has been diagnosed with mesothelioma caused by asbestos exposure. See our Asbestos-Related Disease Claims Guide for more information.

© 2017 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.