0370 1500 100

Pontefract Family Seeking Help After Father's Asbestos-Related Death

Expert Industrial Disease Lawyers Investigating Asbestos Exposure


The son of a Pontefract man who died from mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lungs caused by exposure to asbestos, is appealing to his former colleagues to help them understand how and where he was exposed to the hazardous material.

Graham Clifton died at the age of 90 in June 2013, after a short battle with the disease, which was caused by his exposure to asbestos decades ago.

Before his death he instructed expert asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate how and where he was exposed to the deadly dust and fibres.

Graham believed he was exposed to asbestos during his time working for Stanley Royd Hospital as a joiner, where he was employed between 1957 and 1961.

Graham recalled being involved in the demolition of a number of smaller buildings known as huts, which were used for the seclusion of patients. Graham reported there were padded cells within these huts and some of the buildings also contained coke ovens and stoves.  Graham recalled they also contained asbestos materials.

He told his legal team at Irwin Mitchell that the job was extremely dirty and dusty and that he was never provided with a mask to prevent him from inhaling dust during the working day.

Graham also remembered spending a lot of time working in the service areas underneath the hospital itself where there was a mass of pipework that was lagged with asbestos.

Now, his son Harold Beardow, and his legal team at Irwin Mitchell are appealing for those who worked alongside Graham or family members of those who also worked at the hospital to come forward with information on the presence of asbestos at the hospital and what measures, if any, were in place to protect tradesmen like Graham.

Nicola Handley, an expert asbestos-related disease lawyer at Irwin Mitchell representing his family, said:

Expert Opinion
“Mesothelioma is an extremely aggressive form of cancer that causes a significant amount of pain and distress for victims like Graham, who sadly paid the ultimate price for simply going to work every day.

“His family understandably want answers about how he was exposed to asbestos and what measures were put in place to prevent Graham and his colleagues from inhaling dangerous asbestos dust and fibres.

“We would like to hear from any of Graham’s colleagues who worked at the Stanley Royd Hospital or those whose family members were also employed to work there so we can help Graham’s family get the answers they are looking for.”
Nicola Handley, Solicitor


Harold said: “My dad was an extremely independent man and was very active for his age. His diagnosis completely knocked all of us for six and it was terrible to see such a proud man having to rely on others and go through what he did towards the end of his life.

“To find out that the disease may have been related to asbestos exposure at work just added further insult to injury. We hope people who worked with dad will come forward with the information we need about how and where he was exposed to asbestos.”

Anyone with information on working conditions at the Stanley Royd Hospital or the building work that took place at the site should contact Nicola Handley on 0113 220 6233 or email Nicola.Handley@IrwinMitchell.com

If you or a loved one has been affected by an asbestos related illness, our solicitors can help you to claim compensation. See our Asbestos Claims page for more information.

© 2017 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.