0370 1500 100

Justice For Family Of Former Apprentice Electrical Engineer After Mesothelioma Death

Dad-Of-Two Died From Industrial Illness Following Exposure Over 50 Years Ago


Two sons are speaking out to thank their father’s old colleagues for coming forward with vital information about the working conditions in a Newark Power Station to help them secure justice with the help of expert workplace illness lawyers.

Richard Hayes, from Southwell, in Nottinghamshire, died on 16 October 2013 after being diagnosed with mesothelioma, just months before his death.  Mesothelioma is a terminal illness which is caused by exposure to asbestos.

Before his death, Richard told his family he believed he came into contact with asbestos whilst working as an apprentice electrical engineer at Staythorpe Power Station in Newark, Nottinghamshire where he worked from 1963 to 1968.
Richard’s own father had been involved in the upgrading of the power station and had encouraged his son to learn a trade there.  Unbeknown to both of them, it was the work in upgrading the power station that resulted in Richard being exposed to deadly asbestos dust and fibres.  
Richard’s sons instructed industrial disease experts at Irwin Mitchell to investigate the working conditions at Staythorpe Power Station which their father would have experienced and now, after an admission of liability, the law firm has secured justice and an undisclosed settlement from the insurers.

The father-of-two only worked at the Power station for approximately five years before working as a police officer and then becoming employed as a Social Worker and Probation Officer, committing his time to helping people rebuild their lives until his retirement in 2007. 

Andrew Hayes, Richard’s son, said: “My father talked about his time at Staythorpe Power Station and he was proud of the time that he spent working there alongside his father.  However, he did also mention to us that he would have heavily exposed to asbestos dust. 

“We were bowled over when after our appeal in the local media so many people came forward to help. We the passage of time, we didn't think anyone would remember Dad and the work that he would have done at the power station. Now, with the help of those people and our lawyers Irwin Mitchell, we have secured justice in his memory and got the information we were searching for.”

Richard first started to show the debilitating symptoms of mesothelioma in July 2013 when he developed a bad cough. Doctors at Kings Mill Hospital in Mansfield carried out investigations and he was subsequently diagnosed with mesothelioma. Sadly, his condition was too advanced to treat and he died at home on 16 October 2013. 

Nicola Handley, a specialist industrial disease lawyer at Irwin Mitchell’s Leeds office who is representing the family said: “As the delay between exposure to asbestos dust and the onset of symptoms of mesothelioma is more than 30 years in most cases, people like Richard are only now discovering their health has been affected as a result.

“Mesothelioma is an aggressive and incurable cancer which causes so much distress for victims like Richard who worked in industries where asbestos was regularly used. Sadly, many employers did not do enough to manage the risks of asbestos exposure, despite knowing the dangers of the substance once known as the magic mineral.

“We would like to thank all of the individuals who came forward with extremely valuable information for the case. Without their help, proving the case could have been impossible. Whilst no amount of money can bring Richard back, the settlement will provide his family with some comfort that justice has been achieved to mark Richard’s premature death.”

If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma as a result of exposure to asbestos, our expert mesothelioma lawyers could help you claim compensation. See our Asbestos-Related Disease Claims Guide for more information.

© 2017 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.