Settlement Secured For Family Of Woman Exposed To Asbestos By Washing Husband's Overalls Expert Asbestos-Related Disease Lawyers Secure Settlement For Family 09.06.2015 The family of a woman who died from mesothelioma after being exposed to asbestos when washing her husband’s work overalls say they hope the case illustrates the very real dangers of asbestos dust and fibres. Mary Pointer, from Saltburn-by-the-Sea, died in April 2014 at the age of 85 after a short battle with mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lungs caused by asbestos exposure decades ago. Before her death she told expert asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell she would regularly wash her husband Ronald’s overalls after he returned home from his job in the boiler room at the Marchwood Power Station by the River Test in Southampton, where he worked between 1955 and 1970. Mary recalled that Ronald’s overalls were regularly covered in dust and she would inhale the dust when the dust was distributed and released into the atmosphere. Irwin Mitchell, which recently opened a consulting office in Middlesbrough, launched legal proceedings against E.ON UK, which took over the liabilities of the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) premises where Ronald worked. A significant settlement has now been secured for Mary’s son Darryl and the rest of the family from the company after they admitted they were in breach of duty in exposing Ronald and in turn Mary to asbestos dust and fibres. Roger Maddocks, a Partner in the asbestos-related disease team at Irwin Mitchell, who represented Mary’s son Darryl in the case, said: Expert Opinion“This tragic case in which a widow died of mesothelioma caused simply by inhaling asbestos dust as she cleaned her husband’s overalls shows the risks asbestos dust and fibres pose to those exposed to them. “Mesothelioma is an aggressive illness that causes a significant amount of pain for victims, as well as their family and friends who witness their deterioration. We are delighted to have been able to provide Darryl with the answers he was looking for about what caused his mother’s mesothelioma.” Roger Maddocks, Partner Darryl Pointer, 50, said: “It was absolutely devastating to watch my mother suffer in the final months of her life. She should never have been in a position to be exposed to asbestos and I am delighted that we now have justice in her name. “No amount of money will make up for the loss of my mum and it is extremely upsetting that her life was cut short simply by providing support to her husband and family. She had no idea of the dangers of asbestos and I feel like she paid the ultimate price for my dad’s company failing to protect him and our family from the deadly dust.” Key contact Roger Maddocks Partner 0191 279 0095 Email Roger Tags Personal Injury Asbestos Mesothelioma Roger Maddocks Newcastle Related articles 20.09.2017Mental Health Trust Pays Damages To Family Of Vulnerable Man Who Died In High Rise Fire 20.09.2017Landmark Legal Ruling Will Allow Doctors to Withdraw Treatment To Those Suffering Debilitating Diseases if Families Agree 20.09.2017Inquest Finds Alzheimer Suffer Died Due To Ingesting Chlorine Tablets 19.09.2017Two Women Instruct Lawyers After Being Abused By Dr Philip Schuppler 19.09.2017Specialist Public Health Lawyers Instructed After Dry Ice Cocktail Drank at The Alchemist ‘Leaves Man With Severe Stomach Burns'