0370 1500 100

Son Of Woman Whose Asbestos-Related Death Was Caused By Washing Husband's Overalls Seeks Justice

Law Firm Issues Proceedings Against Eon Over Woman’s Death


Specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers have issued legal proceedings against Eon in a bid to secure the family of a woman from Saltburn-by-the-Sea who died from an asbestos-related cancer justice for her death.

Mary Pointer, died at the age of 86 after a short battle with mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lungs caused by exposure to asbestos.

Before her death in April 2014, Mary and her son Darryl instructed law firm Irwin Mitchell to investigate her exposure to asbestos, which occurred when she washed her husband’s work overalls.

Her husband Ronald Pointer, who she was married to for 45 years, died in 1999 aged 85. Mr Pointer worked for the CEGB at Marchwood Power Station by the River Test in Southampton from around 1955 to 1970 in the boiler room before becoming a turbine operator. 

His widow Mary explained before she died that his overalls were often covered in dust and she would regularly inhale the dust when shaking them out and washing them. The firm has now launched legal proceedings against Eon. 

Roger Maddocks, a Partner in the asbestos-related disease team at Irwin Mitchell, said: 
Expert Opinion
This is a tragic case in which a widow died of mesothelioma caused simply by inhaling asbestos dust as she cleaned her husband’s overalls and their bedding in the 1960s.

“Mary’s son Darryl is devastated by the loss of his mother, particularly as the disease was caused by her taking care of her family.

“Mesothelioma is an aggressive illness which causes a great deal of pain and distress for victims like Mary and we have now issued court proceedings and hope that we can finally find some answers for Mary’s son Darryl."
Roger Maddocks, Partner

Darryl Pointer, 50, said: “I was absolutely distraught seeing my mum deteriorate so quickly and seeing her go through so much pain at the end of her life. She was a devoted wife and mother, but she was not warned of the dangers of asbestos and shouldn’t have been in a position to be exposed to the deadly dust.

“No amount of money will make up for the loss of my mum, but we hope that by issuing court proceedings we will be able to secure justice for her and honour her memory after losing her in such a terrible way.”

If you or a loved one has been affected by an asbestos related illness, our solicitors can help you to claim compensation. See our Asbestos Claims page for more information.

© 2017 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.