0370 1500 100

Supervisor Fined £1,000 Regarding Asbestos Safety Failings

Prosecution After HSE Inspector Spotted Man Working Unprotected In Canterbury


A man has been fined £1,000 and ordered to pay costs after admitting a safety breach relating to an incident in which he exposed himself to asbestos during work at a Canterbury school.

Jack Conn was a supervisor at a Medway company licensed to remove asbestos at the time of the incident and was spotted by a Health and Safety Executive inspector working without the necessary protective equipment at Canterbury Academy at the end of May last year.

While a second worker was seen using the right equipment on the site, Mr Conn was observed walking around a sealed enclosure without a respiratory mask and with the hood of his protective overalls down.

Nicola Wellard, a HSE inspector, said the supervisor should have been “setting a high standard to other employees” and been seen taking health and safety seriously.

She added: “It really does beggar belief that a trained supervisor with a licensed company, fully aware of the very real dangers associated with exposure to asbestos, could then casually disregard those dangers and work in a contaminated environment.”

© 2017 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.