0370 1500 100

Holidaymakers Receive Settlement After Egyptian Illness Nightmare

Expert Travel Lawyers Secure Agreement For Group Who Travelled To Five-Star Savita Spa Resort


Dave Grimshaw, Press Officer | 0114 274 4397

A group of holidaymakers whose trips to the luxury Savita Spa Resort in Egypt in 2010 were ruined by gastric illness have received settlements from tour operator TUI UK Limited, trading as First Choice.

Specialist travel lawyers at Irwin Mitchell were instructed to represent a group of eight holidaymakers who all fell ill during their breaks at the five-star Sharm El Sheikh resort between May and August 2010.

The law firm has now secured a five-figure settlement for the holidaymakers from TUI UK Limited, trading as First Choice, including an undisclosed sum for Derick Evans, a 44-year old car dealer who became so ill he had to go to hospital four times in Egypt and once on his return home.

The holidaymakers all experienced severe gastric symptoms such as diarrhoea, vomiting and stomach cramps while Mr Evans also suffered from breathing difficulties and a skin condition causing rashes and itching.

Among the complaints from the group to their travel lawyers were: 

  • Poor food quality with fresh and old food sometimes mixed together
  • On occasion, food left uncovered for long periods of time
  • Sometimes flies were seen around the food and birds were often found in the restaurant
  • Meat was often undercooked and other food often served at an incorrect temperature
  • Swimming pool was not regularly maintained

Jatinder Paul, a specialist travel lawyer at Irwin Mitchell representing the group, said:

Expert Opinion
Our clients were expecting five-star luxury but all feel that they were badly let down by the experience they suffered. Their holidays were simply ruined by gastric illness and the food hygiene standards described to us were unacceptable.

“Mr Evans’ case was the last to settle as he has suffered from the most severe illness which left him needing hospital treatment and he still continues to suffer with a skin condition today.

“Hopefully now that all the settlements have been agreed, our clients can put their ordeals behind them. They just want to know that others won’t suffer from similar problems in future.

“I hope all tour operators take note of this case and ensure that strict health and hygiene standards are being observed at the hotels they choose to offer to their customers. Sadly we have represented guests travelling to this resort before and have received enquiries as recently as 2013."
Jatinder Paul, Associate

Derick Evans, from Welling, Kent, said the break was a disaster and blamed the food hygiene and poorly maintained swimming pool for his illness.

He commented: “I had been looking forward to a luxury all-inclusive holiday to Egypt in a five-star hotel, but instead suffered from gastric illness which was very unpleasant. I also developed a severe itching on my skin which still affects me now and went to hospital five times in total which is not what you expect when planning a relaxing holiday.

“In the hospital at home I was put on a drip to give me more fluids which was pretty scary. My holiday was ruined.”

Self-employed Derick had to have time off work due to his illness and eventually returned to work part-time and worked from home via phone and computer.

He added: “The holiday has had a massive impact on my life and thankfully I’ve now got a fair settlement and can begin to put the nightmare behind me. I just hope all tour operators make sure that hygiene standards are checked out and maintained to stop others suffering what I have in future.”

© 2017 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.