0370 1500 100

Woman’s Dominican Luxury Holiday Ruined By Salmonella

Expert Travel Lawyers Issue Court Proceedings Against Tour Operator


A woman whose luxury Dominican getaway was ruined after she was struck down with severe Salmonella food poisoning leaving her hospitalised upon her return to the UK has spoken of her ‘horrendous’ ordeal.

Tracy Middleton, from Rugeley in Staffordshire, travelled to the Casa Marina Reef Resort in the Dominican Republic in October 2011 for a relaxing break with her husband Kieran, but fell ill during the two-week stay and was diagnosed with Salmonella on her return from holiday.

Now, international travel law experts at Irwin Mitchell representing the 50-year-old and her husband have issued court proceedings against tour operator Thomas Cook.

Elizabeth Tetzner, a specialist travel lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, said: “As the matter has not resolved we have had no choice but to issue court proceedings against Thomas Cook.

“Aside from making holidays extremely unpleasant, Salmonella is a potentially fatal form of food poisoning that can have a debilitating long-term impact on victims’ health.

“When booking their break the last thing on this couple’s mind was that illness would ruin their holiday.”

Whilst on holiday, Tracy began to suffer with symptoms of loss of appetite and lethargy, and then she began to experience severe abdominal pain, diarrhoea and vomiting. On her return to the UK she was hospitalised for four days and given an intravenous drip to help stabilize her condition as she was very dehydrated.

Commenting on her ruined holiday, Tracy, a housewife said: “I was appalled by the conditions at Casa Marina Reef Resort. I was looking forward to visiting the Dominican Republic, the trip was meant to be a relaxing holiday but instead it turned into a complete nightmare when I suffered horrendous illness.

“The holiday had been purchased as a present from my late father for looking after him during his ill health. I am upset that what should have been a lovely gift was ruined due to the illness I suffered.

“Some of the food was undercooked and served lukewarm at the best of time, some food was also left uncovered during the sitting in the restaurant. On occasions fresh food was mixed with the older foods that were already set out on trays. Water was also provided in jugs rather than in sealed bottles.

“After Stafford Hospital confirmed that I had contracted Salmonella I was horrified and I instructed Irwin Mitchell to pursue legal action on my behalf.

“I am looking forward to the case coming to a conclusion so that I can put this ordeal behind me.”

© 2017 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.