0370 1500 100

Girl Suffers Burns In Edinburgh Fireworks Display Incident

Organisers Urged To Review Safety Following Problems


Legal experts have called on fireworks display organisers to ensure their safety standards are suitable for the events, after a girl suffered burns when a display went wrong at a community centre in Edinburgh.

The youngster suffered a burn to her face was taken to Edinburgh Royal Hospital for Sick Children following the incident at Oxgangs Brae on Monday (November 5th), when a rocket misfired, ricocheted into unlit fireworks and set them all alight at once.

It is believed that around £2,000 worth of fireworks were involved in the accident, while organisers the Pentland Community Centre apologised for the incident and said safety would be reviewed.

Irwin Mitchell represent people who have suffered injury in a public place, helping them to secure answers over the ordeals and trauma they have suffered.

Elaine Russell, a Partner and serious injury lawyer at the national law firm’s Glasgow office, said: “This kind of incident requires investigation and consideration as to whether more could have been done to prevent it.

“Unlit fireworks should be protected from unintentional detonation, so it vital that an examination is undertaken as to what could have been done to stop this from happening.

“The safety of both the public attending displays and those working at them should be a fundamental priority, so we hope that every step can be taken to ensure lessons are learned from this which will make displays safer in the future.”