0370 1500 100

Family Of Welder Who Died Of Asbestos Cancer Launch Battle For Justice

Industrial Illness Experts Call On Former Colleagues Of A Welder Who Died of Asbestos Cancer For Vital Information


The heartbroken sons of a former Bristol welder who died of an asbestos-related disease are asking his former colleagues to get in touch to help with their legal battle for justice.

Leonard Gaulton, from Redfield, died in February 2010 aged 87 of mesothelioma, a cancer in the lining of the lungs caused by inhaling deadly asbestos dust.

He left behind his two sons Terence and Colin and five grandchildren, aged between 24 and 34, who all desperately want answers about why Leonard was exposed to asbestos.

They have instructed Satpal Singh, an industrial illness expert at Irwin Mitchell’s Bristol office and are now joining calls from the firm for Leonard’s former colleagues to get in touch as they may hold vital evidence about the presence of asbestos and working conditions when he worked as a welder.

The firm would like to hear from any former employees of Mills Scaffold Company Ltd in Bristol where Leonard worked from 1968 to 1970, employees of Newman Industries Ltd in Yate where Leonard worked on furnaces from 1966 to 1969 and 1971 to 1973 and former workers at Strachan & Henshaw in Ashton where he worked from 1974 to 1986.

Satpal Singh, an asbestos-related disease expert at Irwin Mitchell’s Bristol office representing the family, said: “They now understandably want answers about where and why he came into contact with deadly asbestos dust and we hope his former colleagues may be able to provide information about this.

“We believe he was probably exposed to asbestos while he worked as a welder at three companies across the South West in the 1960s 70s and 80s. Employers were well aware of the dangers of exposing staff to the dust during this time and the importance of providing protective clothing so there is no excuse for a former employee to be diagnosed with an asbestos-related illness following asbestos exposure which occurred during this period.”

It was early 2009 when Leonard began suffering from symptoms of the disease, such as shortness of breath, and his condition rapidly deteriorated. Malignant mesothelioma was first suspected in 2009 and he died in hospital in February 2010.

His son Terry, from Highridge in Bristol, said: “Our dad was devastated when Mum died in 2003. He was a dedicated dad and grandfather and we all miss him greatly. Although he was in his late 80s we expected to have a lot more time with him.

“We just hope anyone who used to work at Mills Scaffold Company, Newman Industries Ltd and Strachan & Henshaw get in touch because any information, no matter how small, could help us finally get justice for Dad’s death and come to terms with what happened.”

Anyone who thinks they can help is asked to contact Satpal Singh at Irwin Mitchell on 0370 1500 100 or email Satpal.singh@irwinmitchell.com