0370 1500 100

Joiner Sentenced Over Paisley Gas Explosion

Two People Seriously Injured After Cooker Blast


A joiner from Paisley has been ordered to undertake 300 hours of community service after a gas cooker he illegally installed exploded, leaving two householders seriously injured and causing significant damage to four properties.

Alex Irvine was sentenced at Paisley Sheriff Court in relation to the incident in March 2009, when he installed a free-standing cooker in for John and Emily Reid in Kirklands, Renfrew despite not being approved or registered to carry out such work.

The following month, the Reids heard a noise in the kitchen which they assumed was the cooker. While investigating, Mr Reid pulled the oven away from the wall and is through to have caught the ignition switch, which in turn led to a massive explosion.

Mr and Mrs Reid both suffered serious burns in the incident, while the total cost of damage to their home and three other properties was over £500,000. Following an investigation, it is believed that the cooker’s hose was the source of a gas leak and subsequent explosion.

Irwin Mitchell represents a number of victims who have been seriously injured in major gas explosions both at work and in the home, helping them to gain answers over such incidents. The firm also acts for two women whose properties were devastated by an explosion in Salford in 2010.

Jonathan Betts, a specialist in such accident claims at Irwin Mitchell, said: “Gas safety regulations play a huge role in keeping people protected from potential risks and this terrible case highlights just why it is vital that such guidelines are carefully followed.

“Through our work on behalf of victims and families affected by such incidents, we have seen the huge psychological and physical trauma that gas blasts like this can cause.

“There are clear lessons to be learned from this incident and we hope that the seriousness of this case will ensure that households, landlords and engineers always recognise the importance of taking care when it comes to the issue of gas safety.”