0370 1500 100

Urgent Response Vital Following ‘Shocking’ Home Care Review

Expert Comments On EHRC Review


Experts have called on health authorities and councils to take urgent action after a new report raised serious concerns over the standard of home care offered to elderly people across England.

According to the review by the Equality and Human Rights Commission, some standards of care are so poor that they could be breaching human rights. Among the problems reported were instances of abuse, neglect and a failure to ensure people are treated with dignity.

Organisations including Age UK have condemned the findings and urged the government to consider a full investigation into reforms of the social care system as a whole.

Irwin Mitchell’s medical law and patient rights experts represent the families of elderly people who have suffered neglect or abuse while both in care homes and being given home-based support.

Jonathan Peacock, a Partner in the firm’s Bristol office, acted for the loved ones of residents who suffered as a result of care failings at the Maypole Nursing Home in Birmingham.

Commenting on the reports of the review, he said: “This review has revealed some absolutely shocking instances where some of the most vulnerable members of society have simply been denied the care and support they are entitled to.

“Home care providers have a duty to ensure everyone under their care is getting the help they need but, as we’ve sadly seen in our work, this does not always happen.

“The government and providers need to urgently work together to guarantee that care standards are in place and upheld, with a view to preventing any further cases of neglect and abuse which the elderly may suffer.

“A full investigation into this issue will hopefully be a major step towards ensuring that lessons are learned and the worrying problems are tackled as quickly as possible.”

If you'd like to discuss making a claim as the result of a loved one suffering abuse or neglect whilst in a care, contact our care & nursing home solicitors. Alternatively visit our Elder Abuse Compensation Claims page for more information.