0370 1500 100

Taxi Fall Man Left With Horrific Brain Injuries Receives Damages

Irwin Mitchell Helps Family Secure Settlement


A Bristol man, who was left with massive head injuries after he fell from a moving taxi, has today been awarded a substantial undisclosed settlement.

The accident which happened on 23rd December 2005, as Grant Parfitt, then aged 19, was travelling home in a black taxi, following an evening out with friends, left him fighting for his life and in a coma for four weeks.

Following the incident, the driver of the black cab was charged with ‘wanton and furious driving’ but in November 2006 was subsequently found not guilty by a jury at Bristol Crown Court.

However, law firm, Irwin Mitchell today (Wednesday 2nd March) secured a legal victory for Mr Parfitt (now aged 24) after taking civil action against the taxi driver’s insurers. The case settled out of court but, due to Mr Parfitt’s continuing mental impairment as a result of his brain injuries, the settlement needed to be approved by His Honour Judge Denyer QC in the High Court, Bristol.

Speaking on behalf of the family, Rupesh Masani from Irwin Mitchell’s Bristol office, explained: “The past six years have been a roller coaster of emotions for Grant and his family.

“On the night of the accident Grant had gone out with friends, having finished work for the Christmas holidays. The knock on the door by the police in the early hours of the morning is a moment which any parent dreads. Officers informed Janet Parfitt that her son was in a critical condition and fighting for his life.

“She and the family spent their entire Christmas by Grant’s bedside. On 30th December his condition deteriorated further and he underwent emergency surgery to relieve pressure on the brain – a procedure that involved removing a section of his skull to prevent further brain damage.

“In February 2006 he was transferred to the Brain Injury Unit at Frenchay Hospital where, as part of a slow and painstaking recovery, he learnt how to walk again before finally being discharged home in September – more than nine months after the accident.”

At the time, Grant, from the Hengrove area of Bristol, worked full time for a factory which fabricated windows. A keen DIY enthusiast who also enjoyed going to the gym and playing football, he had only recently passed his driving test and had bought a sports car which had become his pride and joy, as he spent hours maintaining and renovating it. As a result of the serious brain injuries sustained in the accident, Grant is no longer able to drive and is unlikely to ever return to paid employment.

Mr Masani continued: “Although his family and the medical team who cared so tirelessly for him are amazed by the progress that Grant has made, the fact remains that his life will never be the same again. He has been left with a significant brain injury and still relies a great deal on his Mum and other members of the family for day to day support.

“Although today’s financial settlement cannot turn back the clock or give him back the normal life he once had, it will at least alleviate some of the financial strain of caring for him.

“Grant is a determined young man who has refused to let his injuries get the better of him and, following the successful conclusion of his six year legal battle for justice, we hope that he and his family will continue to rebuild their lives.”