Family Awarded £300,000
A medical lawyer at Irwin Mitchell has welcomed the damages award which has been granted to the family of man who died following his involvement in a drug trial.
Around £300,000 has been awarded to the loved ones of 27-year-old Gary Foster after they brought a claim over allegations that he was given twice the prescribed amount of bleomycin on seven different occasions during a test of chemotherapy drugs.
He is thought to have died from lung damage caused by the overdose during the government-funded trial organised at the University College London Hospitals NHS Trust in 2007.
Commenting on the case, Auriana Griffiths, a Partner who specialises in medical law issues at Irwin Mitchell’s London office, said: “While no amount of money is ever likely to reduce the grief suffered by families, the size of the award in cases like this highlights just how seriously such incidents are taken.
“Anyone involved in drug trials should be given maximum assurances that their welfare is a priority, but unfortunately this case has raised some concerns that organisers may need to address.
“Lessons need to be learnt to ensure that anyone participating in a test of this kind is completely safe from harm and problems that can be avoided.”