0370 1500 100

Carbon Monoxide Case Must Boost Awareness, Lawyer Demands

Enterprise Inns Fined Over Death


The death of a pub landlord caused by carbon monoxide poisoning should demonstrate how vital it is for businesses to carry out gas safety checks at premises annually, a lawyer at Irwin Mitchell has claimed.

Enterprise Inns has been fined £300,000 over the death of 41-year-old Paul Lee, who had worked at the Aintree Hotel in Bootle for less than a month when he was killed while making use of a gas fire in his living room.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive revealed that the fire may not have been serviced since 1979, while the chimney was completely blocked. In addition, further inquiries revealed the firm had valid gas safety certificates for just 394 or its 868 pubs.

Commenting on the case, work accident expert David Urpeth said: “This case serves as yet another prime example of why organisations need to take the issue of health and safety seriously.

“This man was only just starting out in his position as landlord at this pub, yet his employer’s failure to address basic gas safety regulations led to the devastating consequence of an avoidable death.

“I hope that lessons are learnt from this terrible fatal accident and that companies involved in this sector ensure safety standards at all of their sites meet the necessary requirements.”