0370 1500 100

Gastric Illness Ruins Wirral Family’s Cuban Holiday

Illness At Club Amigo Atlantico


Specialist travel lawyers at Irwin Mitchell are calling on tour operators to ensure safety standards are adhered to after a family’s holiday in Cuba was ruined by illness.

Marguerite Stewart from the Wirral, Merseyside, travelled to the Club Amigo Atlantico in Cuba with partner Tyrone Czwewinski and daughter Jessica Stewart.

The family, who travelled with Thomas Cook in August of this year, all suffered gastric symptoms including abdominal pain, diarrhoea, vomiting, nausea, headaches and lethargy.

Even since returning to the UK the family continued to suffer symptoms. Other guests have suggested that Cuban health authorities had recently visited the hotel because of a food poisoning outbreak, and there were complaints of food being re-used at different meal services.

Marguerite Stewart was given painkillers by a nurse after being told there was no doctor in the resort. All three members of the party have been to see their GP since returning to the UK and Marguerite is now waiting for test results to confirm the details of her illness.

Mrs Stewart reports flies around the food, and various animals being seen in and around the restaurant. She says that hot plates for food were not on, food was served lukewarm and that new food was added to existing food.

She added: “The swimming pool area was dirty and we even spotted faeces in the water, and I did not notice any regular cleaning of pool.

“We were looking forward to a holiday together but felt let down and disappointed at the standard of the hotel. We have come back different people as a result of the illness we continue to suffer from. It was a holiday from hell.”

Amandeep Dhillon a travel law expert at Irwin Mitchell Solicitors said: “It is vital that the basic health and hygiene standards, in place to protect holidaymakers, are enforced correctly and adhered to. Tour operators are responsible for ensuring the safety of their customers and must take reasonable steps to do so. If they can’t guarantee safety at hotels they shouldn’t send their customers there.

“It goes without saying that families should be able to enjoy their holiday free from concerns about health issues that are completely avoidable. Unfortunately, this was not the case with the Club Amigo Atlantico in Cuba and this holiday has been far from the relaxing experience they thought they had booked.”