0370 1500 100

Two Injured In Coventry Explosion

Flash Burns After Explosion


Two Injured In Coventry Explosion

A blast from beneath a Coventry pavement has hospitalised two people.

The pedestrians were walking on Fairfax Street when an explosion caused by an electrical problem known as a "joint failure" occurred, Central Networks power distribution company said. Two sections of underground cable are connected by the joint.

"On arrival at the scene, crews found two people who had suffered flash burns after an explosion beneath the pavement they were walking on," said a West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman. "The two pedestrians, a man and a woman, were treated at the scene for burns to their arms, legs, faces and hair. Both patients, believed to be around 20 years old, were transferred in the same ambulance to University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire for further assessment and treatment."

Central Networks said more than 230 homes and businesses experienced a power cut following the explosion.

A spokesman said: "It's incredibly unusual for anyone to be injured by a joint failure. They're not uncommon but I've never heard of anyone being injured by flash burns because of a joint failure."

Jo Darlington of Irwin Mitchell Solicitors said: "Whilst this type of accident is fortunately infrequent, when it does occur is really shocking for the injured parties. Proper adherence to industry guidelines should mean this type of event can be eradicated."