0370 1500 100

British Tourists Suffer Illness At Spanish Hotel

Holiday Illness Compensation Claims


A travel law expert has questioned hygiene standards at a Spanish hotel after British holidaymakers were taken ill for the second year running.

Fifteen British holidaymakers instructed travel lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to take action after they were struck down by illness at the Holiday Village Costa Del Sol in 2008.

Another 11 tourists have now contacted Irwin Mitchell after being taken ill this year. Among those affected was a five-year-old girl who fell victim to cryptosporidium, often caused by contaminated water.

Guests raised a number of complaints about the hotel, including faeces in the swimming pool, raw sewage coming through the plughole in the shower, rats in the play area and ants in food service areas.

Lawyers at Irwin Mitchell are representing a family from Morecambe who suffered gastric illness after a stay at the hotel.

Christopher and Lisa Bower stayed at the hotel in July. During their stay the swimming pool had to be closed because of excrement floating in it, sewage came up through their shower plughole and sewage was also leaking from a public toilet.

Christopher, Lisa and their children fell ill when they returned to the UK. Their GP confirmed that they were suffering from giardiasis.

Gary Dickie, a travel law expert at Irwin Mitchell is representing the group of holidaymakers. He said: “From reports we have received, it appears that there have now been significant problems at the hotel for two consecutive years and, from what our clients tell us, far more tourists could have become ill.”