0370 1500 100

Homeowners Warned Over Builder

Gross Negligence Manslaughter


The public has been warned to check gas appliances and other works undertaken by a builder who was recently convicted of gross negligence manslaughter.

The HSE issued the warning to Cambridgeshire homeowners who have had work carried out by David Johnson, who traded as Merlin Building and Roofing Contractors.

Mr Johnson was found guilty of gross negligence manslaughter following the death of a man after he had worked on a house chimney.

He was also found guilty of breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

Following his work the flue within the chimney was found to be blocked, which caused carbon monoxide fumes to be released into the house and killed the occupant.

Anyone who contracted Mr Johnson to undertake works that may have affected a flue connected to a gas appliance should ensure both are checked by a Corgi-registered installer, the HSE said.

Concerns about other building work completed by Mr Johnson should be taken up with local building control offices.

Consumers should be vigilant of gas safety when having any type of building work done, the HSE said, as flues and ventilation can easily become blocked if the builder is not trained in gas appliances.

Copyright © PA Business 2008