0370 1500 100

Kent Man Wins Damages After Dom Rep Holiday From Hell

Illness At Paraiso Del Sol Resort


A Kent man has won damages following a gastric illness contracted whilst on holiday in the Dominican Republic.

Marc Stringer, 29, from Margate in Kent went on holiday to the Paraiso Del Sol Resort in the Dominican Republic in April 2005.

However within only 3 days of arrival he fell ill with severe diarrhoea and stomach cramps which confined him to his room for most of his holiday. His symptoms were so severe that he required medical attention in the resort and was put on an intravenous drip to treat him for dehydration.

Mr Stringer said: "On the first day, I found cockroaches in my hotel room and there were often flies on the food which was left out uncovered for several hours – it was disgusting."

Having originally planned to stay for two weeks Mr Stringer desperately tried to return home in his second week of his holiday, camping out in the airport for a whole day in an attempt to fly home. However, despite being willing to pay extra and take an indirect flight, he was unable to arrange any alternative to his designated flight home.

Mr Stringer continued to suffer with symptoms upon his return to the UK and has been diagnosed with on-going medical issues following his return from holiday.

Tour Operator My Travel admitted liability following a group claim by Irwin Mitchell acting on behalf of 69 holidaymakers who also suffered gastric illness whilst staying at the hotel during the same period.

Mr Stringer settled his claim for compensation against My Travel for £5,925.

Elizabeth Tetzner, from the Travel Law team at Irwin Mitchell Solicitors who represented Mr Stringer said: "This is an excellent result, every year we act for people who have been on holiday and who have suffered illness. Often these illnesses can have a long term and serious impact on health."

"We only hope by taking these legal actions we reduce the chances of these types of outbreak, as Cruise Liners, Hotels and tour operators realise the consequences of not adhering to the most basic levels of hygiene."