0370 1500 100

Sheffield Man Burnt on Go Karting Day Out

Compensation Claim Following Burn Injuries


A 26 year old man from Sheffield has been awarded £1,500 after he suffered from burns because the insulation covering the hot engine on the go kart he was driving was inadequate.

On June 3 last year Richard Batty attended the Avago Indoor Karting Centre on White Lee Road in Mexborough as part of a group to celebrate a friend's birthday.

Mr Batty from Watersmeet Road, Hillsborough was racing round the track and noticed that his back was starting to get hot. When he finished he lifted his top to find that he had developed a burn to the right of his lower back.

Reporting the incident to the staff he was given ice to apply to the wound while they investigated the kart. Mr Batty noted that the foam that covered the engine was not sufficient to protect him from the heat of the engine. The staff immediately took the kart off the track.

Later that day the wound began to blister and Mr Batty was taken to the Royal Hallamshire Hospital where he received treatment. The injury was so bad that he was forced to return to the hospital sometime later for follow up treatment.

He said: "I noticed that my back felt hot whilst I was riding the kart but it wasn't until I finished the race and lifted my top up that I realised just how bad it was.

"The wound has now healed but I will have been left with a scar as a result. Not the kind of memories I expected from my day at the track!"

Katrina Elsey represented Mr Batty following the incident. She commented: "The injury sustained by Mr Batty because of a lack of concern for health and safety by Avago Karting Limited is unacceptable.

"I am pleased that we obtained a successful outcome to this claim as all companies need to ensure they have regard for customers safety whilst visiting their premises."

If you have been injured while go karting or taking part in any other motorsport, visit our sports injury section.