A South African nurse has been struck off by a watchdog after she failed to wash her hands after treating a patient with MRSA.
Yvonne Zanele Cemane, 53, was found guilty of misconduct by the Nursing and Midwifery Council after it was revealed she also failed to wear a protective apron while treating the patient.
Cemane was found guilty of six allegations, including roughly treating a male patient, which took place when she worked at the Rylands Nursing and Residential Home in Shropshire between May and July in 2005.
She was struck off for what the disciplinary panel called "a lack of basic anatomical knowledge" and "serious deficiencies in safe practice".
A spokesperson for the Council said that the landmark decision was taken "having given regard to the seriousness of the offences, particularly in relation to a vulnerable patient".
She added that to have kept Cemane on the nursing register would have meant a "continued risk" to patients.
Copyright © PA Business 2007
Joanne Ashley from law firm Irwin Mitchell commented: "This case highlights the importance of protecting some of the most vulnerable members of our society and the need to safeguard those at risk.
It is welcoming to see that the Nursing and Midwifery Council are acknowledging the seriousness of the failings in this case and the fundamental need for basic nursing and hygiene care".
If you or a loved one contracted MRSA due to poor hygiene standards at a hospital, our medical negligence claims team could help you to secure compensation. See our MRSA Compensation Claims page for more information.