0370 1500 100

E.coli Infection in Paisley

Scottish Personal Injury Lawyer Speaks Out


A 66-year-old disabled woman has died and her husband is seriously ill following an outbreak of E.coli in Paisley Renfrewshire.

According to reports five other people in the same area have also been treated for the E.coli O157 infection.

Official inquiries suggest that the infection came from cold meat bought at two Morrisons' supermarkets in the Paisley area. Morrisons have confirmed that cold meats had been withdrawn from two stores at Lonend and Falside Road.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde said the woman died on Monday morning in the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley and her 72-year-old husband is seriously ill in Glasgow's Victoria Infirmary.

Elaine Russell a Partner at Irwin Mitchell in the Glasgow office said "We are very alarmed by this latest episode of E-coli contamination. Every year we act for E-coli victims and we have to explain to them or their families that their illness has been caused by a failure to follow simple common sense guidelines in relation to food preparation and storage. This kind of outbreak should now be a thing of the past, and if those in the food industry will not take the necessary steps to protect the public, stricter regulations should be put in place.

"Tragically, because of its long incubation period, we fear that there are likely to be additional victims over the next few days."

Find out more about personal injury claims in Scotland