Legal Experts Investigating After People Complain Of Illness
More than 30 holidaymakers have instructed specialist lawyers to investigate after they were struck down by gastric illness during a stay at the Mukarnas Resort and Spa in Turkey this summer.
Among those affected was Lauren Scott, a salon owner, and her partner, James Beard, who owns an exterior cleaning business from Wigan. They travelled to the four-star resort in Antalya with their three children, who also became ill. An electrician from Somerset, Mark Clifton, was also among those who became unwell.
The 30-plus holidaymakers travelled to Turkey between 9 and 27 July after booking through tour operator Jet2 Holidays.
Upon returning to the UK, they instructed specialist international serious injury lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate their illness. They have also raised concerns that they were allowed to travel after finding out others, who said they had holidayed at the resort from May onwards, had reported falling ill.
Expert Opinion“Our clients had been looking forward to their holidays, but these were ruined when gastric symptoms struck.
Gastric illness can lead to long-term health issues and its effects should never be downplayed.
The holidaymakers we represent understandably have many questions about how not only they fell ill, but also why they were not informed of reports of illness among other guests at the resort before they travelled. We’re now investigating these concerns and are determined to provide the families with answers they deserve. If, during the course of our investigations, any issues are identified, it’s vital that lessons are learned to reduce the risk of other holidaymakers falling ill.
As part of our work and to assist with our investigations, we would be keen to hear from anyone else who may also have been affected by illness whilst staying at the Mukarnas Resort and Spa in Turkey.”
Jennifer Hodgson - Associate Solicitor
James Beard, 42, and Lauren Scott, 27, travelled to the Mukarnas Resort and Spa in Antalya on 9 July with their three children. This was their first family holiday together and it was a long-awaited break for all of them.
Ten days into the trip, exterior cleaning business owner James began to suffer from diarrhoea, vomiting, dizziness and a fever. Over the course of the remaining days of the holiday, Lauren, a salon owner, and their three children also became unwell with similar symptoms.
The family visited the hotel doctor but said they were advised that the cost of a consultation and stool samples for the family would be 1000 Euros - around £840 - and a two-hour trip to a hospital, so the family decided against this.
James and his family returned home to the UK on 24 July. Lauren and James continue to suffer gastric issues after their return, with Lauren also suffering from night sweats.
James said: “We were all really excited about going to Turkey. It was our first holiday away as a family and we’d been counting down the days.
“Sadly, the resort was a huge let down. We were shocked at the standards and the number of holidaymakers who were falling ill.
“The food served was never particularly hot and was served lukewarm. The pool was also dirty and we didn’t see it being cleaned throughout our stay. On one occasion there was poo in the hotel pool, and I was shocked when the lifeguards tried to remove it with their hands and didn’t close the pool or try to clean it.
“We’ve heard of so many other people falling ill, which really isn’t something you expect on holiday. We feel that the hotel staff were unhelpful and we’re concerned that we were allowed to fly out to this resort when it’s believed so many holidaymakers were falling ill at the hotel.
“All I want now are some answers as to why this happened; it’s the least we deserve after what we’ve had to endure.”
Mark Clifton, an electrician from Yeovil, was on holiday at the Mukarnas Resort and Spa between 15 and 25 July, with his partner and her two children.
By 18 July, Mark, 38, was unable to get out of bed. He complained of stomach cramps, diarrhoea, sweats and a fever. He went to see the hotel doctor, who was unavailable.
Since returning home, Mark continues to suffer with gastric issues.
He said: “I was really shocked by the number of people I heard were ill at the resort. Some staff tried to say it was heatstroke, but I think it was more than that.
“I remember thinking the food at the hotel was lukewarm, and I didn’t once see the pool being cleaned or tested while I was there.
“My partner and her children also fell ill, but their symptoms fortunately weren’t as bad as mine. More than two weeks, on I’m still not 100 per cent and I’m not sure how long this will go on for.
“While I can’t turn back the clock, I just want to know why this happened.”
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling international serious injury and holiday illness cases