Toddler Contracted E.Coli Following Holiday To Turkey
The family of a two-year-old girl who died after she contracted a bacterial infection following a holiday to Turkey are hoping an inquest will provide them with answers regarding her death.
Allie Birchall, from Atherton in Manchester, suffered gastric illness including stomach cramps and diarrhoea shortly after she returned from a 10-day stay at the Crystal Sunset Luxury Resort and Spa in Antalya with her family in July 2019.
She was admitted to hospital, where she was diagnosed with Shiga-Toxin producing E.Coli (STEC). She subsequently developed Haemolytic Uraemic Syndrome (HUS), a serious and potentially fatal blood condition linked to STEC, which can result in kidney failure and brain damage. She sadly died on 3 August 2019.
An inquest into Allie’s death is scheduled to take place at the Manchester City Coroner’s Court, beginning on 17 May and listed for one-and-a-half days.
Following their loss, Allie’s family including her mum Katie Dawson, instructed specialist international serious injury lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate her daughter’s illness. The legal team are also supporting the family through the inquest process.
Expert Opinion“It’s almost three years since Allie died and her loved ones are understandably still devastated at losing her in such a tragic way.
The family were really looking forward to their holiday in Turkey, but after they returned home Allie fell ill and what they then had to go through was the worst experience of their lives.
While we can’t change the suffering they’ve had to endure, we’re determined to help them obtain the answers they deserve and will continue to support them throughout the inquest process.
If, during the course of the inquest any issues are identified, we also call for lessons to be learned.”
Jatinder Paul - Senior Associate Solicitor
The family all suffered from gastric symptoms during the course of their holiday, which was booked through tour operator Jet2 Holidays. Allie first began to show signs of illness on 27 July 2019, around four days after returning home from Turkey.
Her condition worsened and she was diagnosed with STEC. Following admission to hospital, she was diagnosed with HUS and was put in an induced coma on 1 August. An MRI scan revealed that Allie had sustained brain damage.
On 3 August, Allie’s family made the incredibly difficult decision to switch off her life support.
Allie’s mum Katie, 36, said: “The past three years have been the worst of my life. I still struggle to accept that Allie has gone, as she was so full of life and such a happy little girl.
“All of us fell ill around about the time of our holiday to Turkey, but we didn’t think for one minute that it would end the way it did.
“Our lives haven’t been the same since then and while we can’t turn back the clock and change what happened, we need answers as to why our princess was taken from us. It’s the least we deserve and we hope the inquest will provide us with these.”
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling holiday illness cases