Family Instructs Irwin Mitchell To Help Establish Answers
A wife has spoken for the first about the devastating loss of her ‘wonderful’ husband who died after contracting salmonella linked to duck eggs.
Niptoon Tavakoli, of Lindholme, Doncaster, died in hospital two months after falling ill complaining of sickness and diarrhoea.
The 65-year-old had eaten duck eggs he bought from Messingham Show in North Lincolnshire five days before he became ill.
Following the death of the stepfather to Andrew and Paul, his wife Cheryl, 60, instructed expert lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to help investigate and support the family through the inquest process.
The family is now hoping that the start of the inquest process will provide it with ‘vital’ answers as to why Niptoon died.
Expert Opinion“Niptoon was a much-loved husband and stepdad. His death has had a profound effect on Cheryl and the rest of the family who remain devastated by their loss.
“Salmonella can be extremely dangerous and can cause serious health problems. In the worst cases, such as this one, it can even lead to death.
“Understandably Niptoon’s family has a number of concerns about the events that unfolded in the lead up to his death. We are determined to provide the family with the vital answers it deserves and the start of the inquest process is major milestone in being able to do this.
“We will continue to support the family throughout the process. If during the course of our investigations any issues are identified it is vital that lessons are learned.” Tim Annett - Partner
Niptoon, who worked in the catering industry and retail management for many years, bought six ducks eggs at Messingham Show on 2 June last year and later cooked and ate four of the eggs.
Five days later an ambulance was called to his home. It was decided not to take Niptoon to hospital.
On 10 June he was taken to Doncaster Royal Infirmary after paramedics were called again to his home.
Doctors found evidence of salmonella. Niptoon was admitted to intensive care. However, his condition continued to deteriorate. He died on 12 August.
Public Health England launched an investigation and confirmed a second case of salmonella in the West Midlands with the same strain.
The source of the infection had not been traced, it added.
Public Health England’s investigation is continuing.
Cheryl said: “Niptoon was the most wonderful, loving and caring husband and stepdad we could have wished for. He was never happier when spending time with his family or visiting antique centres and fairs. He also loved studying coins and history.
“Seeing him so poorly in the last few weeks of his life and being powerless to help him was truly horrific.
“Niptoon has left a massive hole in all our lives and we miss him so much. We had so many plans for the future still, but now he is no longer with us, these will only ever remain as plans.
“Niptoon was a very good cook and had worked in the catering industry for years. It is difficult not to think that he was taken too soon.
“Knowing that another person contracted salmonella also after eating duck eggs just adds to the concerns we have about Niptoon’s death.
“We know that nothing can ever make up for what has happened but we need to know if more could have been done to prevent his death. We know that the inquest process is going to be an emotional time but it is something we have to do to honour Niptoon’s memory.”
A pre-inquest review hearing is due to take place at Doncaster Coroner’s Court on Tuesday, 18 February.
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling public health cases