Loved Ones And Lawyers Seek Answers Regarding His Work History
The family of a former process engineer from Tyne and Wear who died of the asbestos-related cancer mesothelioma last year are calling on his old workmates for help as they seek answers regarding how he came to suffer from the illness.
Kenneth Elliott, from Whitley Bay, died aged 84 in August 2017, with a post-mortem confirming that he had developed the cancer of the lining of the lung most commonly associated with exposure to asbestos.
After a conclusion of death by industrial disease was recorded at an inquest held in December, Kenneth’s son Paul Elliott instructed specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell’s Newcastle office to investigate how his illness developed.
Now, his family and the lawyers have teamed up to launch an appeal for information regarding the working conditions that Kenneth would have faced during his time:
- As an apprentice fitter and turner at Vickers Armstrong Ltd’s Elswick Works between 1948 and 1954
- As a process engineer at C A Parsons & Co Ltd’s Heaton Works from 1956 to 1957
- As a process engineer at Procter & Gamble Ltd between 1957 and 1998.
Emma Tordoff, the specialist asbestos-related disease lawyer at Irwin Mitchell who is representing Kenneth’s family, said:
Expert Opinion“This is sadly another example of where an individual has died from an asbestos-related condition possibly many decades after his initial exposure to the material took place.
“Such cases highlight the devastating impact that asbestos can have on so many lives and how families are often left desperate for answers regarding how the contact occurred.
“We would be hugely grateful to anyone who may be able to provide any information which could help this family gain the answers and justice they deserve.” Emma Bell - Associate Solicitor
Kenneth’s family have provided some insight to Irwin Mitchell about how he would talk about his role at Procter & Gamble, which involved helping with the renovation of old buildings which the company had acquired. He mentioned how the projects often meant knocking down walls and pulling ceilings down, with such activities releasing lots of dust.
His son Paul, 51, said: “The whole family is still coming to terms with the loss of Dad and we are all focused on trying to get some answers regarding his illness.
“Towards the end of his life he struggled with Alzheimer’s and so it was very difficult to bring up his past work, so if anyone would be able to provide information about these three employers it would be hugely appreciated.
“Any detail no matter how small could make all of the difference.”
Anyone with information related to this case is asked to contact Sonia Akram at Irwin Mitchell’s Newcastle office on 0191 279 0095 or email Sonia.Akram@IrwinMitchell.com.
Read more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in mesothelioma cases.