Loved Ones And Lawyers Seek Answers Regarding Illness
The devastated family of a former plumber who died suddenly of asbestos-related cancer have issued an emotional plea asking for his old workmates to come forward and ‘help them gain justice’ regarding how he developed the illness.
William Francis Griffiths, from Castle Vale Birmingham, died aged 91 in August 2015 from mesothelioma – a cancer of the lining of the lung commonly associated with exposure to asbestos materials – just a month after he underwent tests for the illness.
Following his death, William’s distraught family instructed specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate how he developed the illness and determine whether it could be linked to his work history.
As part of their ongoing investigations, the legal experts have now joined with his loved ones to call for anyone who worked with him at Smith Brothers (Quinton) Ltd in the 1950s to come forward and provide information regarding the potential presence of asbestos.
Satinder Bains, the Partner and asbestos-related disease expert at Irwin Mitchell’s Birmingham office representing the family, said:
Expert Opinion“We sadly see a huge number of cases in which the tragic impact of asbestos becomes clear many years after a person has been exposed to the material.
“We have major concerns that William’s mesothelioma may be linked to his working life and we are keen to develop a better picture of his time at Smith Brothers.
“We would be hugely grateful to anyone who is able to provide information regarding the working conditions he would have faced while working for the company and also ultimately whether more could have been done to protect him.” Satinder Bains - Partner
William fell ill in the early part of 2015 and had a chest X-ray in July. Just a month later, on August 25th, he died.
Although it was suspected that William had mesothelioma, it was only confirmed at an inquest that the disease had claimed his life.
William worked at Smith Brothers (Quinton) Ltd, which was based on Birmingham’s Stratford Road, from 1953 to 1957 and his family believe his time there may have seen him come into contact with asbestos.
His step-son Craig Griffiths said: “Dad would talk about how some of his work for the company involved boxing in boilers using asbestos sheeting, with that job meaning he often had to cut the sheets up with a saw.
“The way dad fell ill and deteriorated so quickly was a huge shock to the whole family. Three years on we remain completely devastated about losing him and just feel we deserve some answers regarding how he developed mesothelioma and whether more should have been done to protect him.
“Our efforts to secure answers hinge on having more information regarding his potential exposure, so we would be hugely grateful to anyone who may be able to provide details that could assist us. Any kind of information could make a major difference, so please help us get justice.”
Anyone with information which may assist this case is asked to contact Satinder Bains on 0121 214 5281 or email Satinder.Bains@irwinmitchell.com.
Read more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in mesothelioma cases.