Expert Calls For Lessons To Be Learned From Prosecutions
A public liability specialist at Irwin Mitchell has called for lessons to be learned after two recent prosecutions highlight the very real risks posed by gas safety failings.
Last week it was revealed that a gas engineer from West Bromwich had been fined £2,000 and ordered to pay costs after a family of five were hospitalised due to exposure to carbon monoxide.
An investigation revealed that he had carried out safety checks on their home in Little Aston in 2009 and 2010 without being fully qualified to do so.
The Health and Safety Executive also revealed that a 57-year-old landlord in Lancaster was sentenced for failing to arrange for a registered engineer to visit a property in Scalehill for an annual gas safety check. It was found in April 2010 that a check had not been carried out since February 6th 2009.
David Urpeth, a Partner at Irwin Mitchell who acts for those injured as a result of gas safety failings both at work and in the home, said: “Gas safety regulations are in place for a very important reason and these cases demonstrate the seriousness of failing to meet responsibilities in this area.
“Gas safety checks are vital and all landlords have a duty to ensure they are carried out. In addition, it is vital that engineers ensure their qualifications are up to date, while households should always check the ID of those they ask to do such work.
“Failing to recognise the importance of gas safety can have grave consequences, so we hope that lessons can be learned from these latest fines.”