Lawyer Seeks Witnesses To Help Shed Light On Working Conditions
The family of a man who died from an aggressive cancer linked to asbestos has urged his former work colleagues to come forward to help shed light on how he came into contact with the deadly material.
Alan Readett, from Halliwell in Bolton, was diagnosed with mesothelioma in January
last year and died just ten months later in November, aged 72.
Specialist asbestos disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell are now helping his family in their battle for justice in Alan’s memory and are asking anyone who may have worked at Ainscough and Lowe on Spa Road in Bolton to come forward.
Charlotte Hobday, an expert in asbestos related disease at Irwin Mitchell’s Manchester office, said: “From around 1954 to 1961, Alan worked at Ainscough and Lowe as an apprentice joiner and before he died he recalled working at Salford Royal Hospital and Hope Hospital and coming into contact with asbestos dust.
“Ainscough and Lowe were hired to do general maintenance and work around the hospital including refurbishing wards. Before he died, Alan remembered it was a dusty environment to work in and that the hospital cellars were decrepit.
“He said he would frequently sweep the floor, which was littered with sawdust, off cuts of timber as well as asbestos dust and pieces of asbestos lagging which had either fallen from the pipes or been ripped off during the work going on. He got asbestos dust on his clothes, in his hair and sometimes up his nose.
“I’d urge anyone who can shed any light on working conditions at the company during the time he worked there to get in touch. If anyone remembers working with the client at the company during the 1950s and 1960, please let us know so we can help get the answers our client desperately needs.”
Anyone with information should contact Charlotte Hobday on 0161 838 2381 or email firstname.lastname@example.org