Illness In Sharm El Sheikh
Specialist travel lawyers at Irwin Mitchell are helping a family of 15 after they were taken ill on their ‘last holiday together’ in Egypt.
The 15 family members, who range from seven months to 60, suffered gastric illness after staying at the Tropitel Naama Bay Hotel in Sharm El Sheikh this July.
Family members have now contacted Irwin Mitchell for help and are urging tour operators to take immediate action to prevent more holidaymakers suffering in the same way.
Emma Austin, (24) from Bodmin, Cornwall, who organised the family trip, explained: "The entire holiday was disastrous. We had all saved for more than a year to afford this trip. We knew this would probably be our last big holiday together. My uncle is battling cancer. This, together with the fact that some of the younger members of the family are leaving home to start new careers, meant we wanted this to be a special time together as a family."
After just days at the resort, the entire family was struck down with gastric illness.
Emma’s partner, Andrew Frost and their three children, including 7-month old baby Laird, all suffered with stomach cramps, diarrhoea and sickness.
Emma’s parents, brothers and sisters, as well as her aunt and uncle also fell ill.
Emma commented: "The pains in my stomach were like nothing I've ever experienced. I was bent double with pain. I’ve never been so glad to fly home. Even now, several weeks later, many of us continue to experience symptoms. I can’t believe we spent so much money, only to end up suffering like this."
The family blame poor hygiene standards at the hotel for their illness. They report pink and bloody meat being served in the restaurant, new food being piled on top of existing food and food that appeared to have been reheated and served the following meal-time. They also report that the swimming pool and public toilets were dirty.
Amandeep Dhillon, a travel law expert with Irwin Mitchell, who is investigating the family's claims, said: "We frequently hear from people who have become severely ill whilst staying at resorts which have fallen way below the standards of acceptability and I am sorry to say that Emma Austin and her family's experience is not an isolated one.
"Holiday companies have a responsibility to ensure that the hotels they send their customers to are safe and that they comply with health and safety regulations, which are in place to protect their guests."