Help Needed In Battle For Justice
The widow of a former Manchester worker, who died after being exposed to asbestos, is appealing for former workmates to get in touch to help her with her claim for compensation.
72 year old Alfred McCully died on 6th October 2008 from mesothelioma, the fatal asbestos related cancer. Mr McCully lived for most of his life in Salford, Lancashire, before retiring to Stoke on Trent in 2001. He left behind a wife, Yvonne, two children, and two grandchildren then aged 8 and 5.
It is believed that Mr McCully was exposed to asbestos dust and fibres over the course of his working life whilst employed by a number of companies in the Manchester area between 1951 and 2001.
Initially, Mr McCully was employed as a metal worker by Duxbury, Hartley, & Co. from 1951 to 1964, where he built and installed metal staircases and railings for new residential and commercial premises. During this period he briefly left the firm’s employment, firstly in 1955 when he worked for one year at English Velvet, and again in 1960 when he spent 12 months working as a site labourer.
From 1964 to 1968, Mr McCully worked for George Wragge Ltd, before moving to Arthur Williamson of Trafford Park from 1968 to 1978.
During the course of each of these jobs it is believed he worked in close proximity to carpenters and builders who used asbestos materials during the construction of new buildings.
In later years, Mr McCully was employed as a postal worker by Parcelforce. From 1978 to 1996, he worked in the sorting offices at Mayfield Station in Manchester, before being transferred to Bootle in Merseyside where he worked until his retirement in 2001. It is believed that during his time there was asbestos present within the sorting offices.
An inquest into Mr McCully’s death took place on 19th February 2009, before Deputy Coroner, Anthony Curzon, who recorded a verdict of Industrial Disease.
Mr McCully’s wife, Yvonne, commented: “Alfred had always been a very fit and active man. He particularly loved crown green bowling and was a member of the Parcelforce team for ten years.
“It wasn’t until 2006 that he began to suffer from breathlessness. At first we didn’t think it was anything to worry about, but in early 2008 he started to get chest pains. He underwent a series of tests and finally on 3rd June he was diagnosed with mesothelioma. We were both absolutely devastated by the news and his death, just four months later, came as a huge shock to the family.”
Mrs McCully added “Alfred was such a hard working man all his life and it so upsetting to think that it was work which led to his illness.”
Alida Coates, a solicitor with national law firm Irwin Mitchell, is representing Mr McCully’s widow in her legal claim. She said: “Mesothelioma is an asbestos-related disease, for which there sadly is no cure. Although it can take upwards of 20 years from exposure to onset of the illness, once diagnosed it can be very aggressive and painful. Its effects have been tragic for Alfred and his family.
“The inquest showed that he died as a result of industrial disease and it is vital, in order for his family to continue with this claim for compensation, that people who have information concerning the working practices at any of the companies Mr McCully worked for, including English Velvet, William Moss, Duxbury Hartley & Co, George Wragge Ltd, Arthur Williamson of Trafford Park or Parcelforce, gets in touch to help with our enquires”.
Anyone who is able to help in this matter can contact Alida Coates at Irwin Mitchell on 0370 1500 100 or firstname.lastname@example.org