One Man Hurt In Incident
Serious injury specialists have today urged extreme caution to anyone handling dangerous substances after one man was rushed to hospital following a chemical leak at a Gloucester hotel.
A full chemical emergency was declared at the Filton Holiday Inn on Saturday morning where fire-fighters in gas tight suits were dealing with the incident; amidst reports that swimming pool staff had inadvertently caused a chlorine gas leak.
Clive Garner, a Partner at law firm Irwin Mitchell said: “Chlorine gas can be extremely dangerous. Whilst we welcome the quick actions of staff in evacuating guests it is very worrying that members of the public could have been exposed to danger in this way.
"We have helped many people in the past who have suffered serious burns and respiratory problems following exposure to dangerous levels of chemicals in swimming pools. Some of them have sadly been left with long term health problems.
“It is essential now that a full investigation into the circumstances surrounding this incident occurs as soon as possible so that lessons can be learnt and future suffering prevented.”
Avon Fire and Rescue Service spokesman confirmed that one man in his 20s had been taken to hospital having inhaled fumes, and that environmental protection officers from the council were assisting in analysing the chemicals.
He told the BBC: "We have declared a full chemical emergency as a precaution and have five appliances in attendance and an environmental protection unit.”