Burnt at Work
An accident which saw a chef in a Manchester restaurant suffer serious burns to his foot has cost his employers almost £15,000.
The chef slipped on greasy kitchen equipment in the Trafford Centre branch of noodle bar Tampopo when and his foot got caught in a pan of scalding hot oil. He suffered serious burns.
The owners of the noodle chain were fined £11,500 and ordered to pay £3,084 in costs after being convicted of not having safe systems in place to ensure staff safety while cleaning at elevated levels, at Trafford magistrates' court.
The owners admitted four health and safety offences relating to unsafe ladders and deficient risk assessment Trafford councillor Jonathan Coupe, executive member for the environment, said: "This was a particularly nasty accident and the chef's injuries could have been a lot worse.
"We expect all businesses to take health and safety seriously and do everything they can to protect their employees.
"Where businesses fail to manage health and safety properly Trafford Council will always take appropriate legal action. Hopefully this prosecution will send out a strong message to other local businesses to make sure they put safe systems in place and provide all staff with well-maintained equipment which allows them to do their jobs safely."
Copyright © PA Business 2008
David Urpeth from law firm Irwin Mitchell said: "This industrial accident highlights the need for employers to carry out a full risk assessment and provide necessary and suitable work equipment.
"I welcome the fine imposed for the breaches of health and safety that led to this awful work accident.
"I act for many workers who have been injured or killed in industrial accidents."