The team concentrates on bespoke work rather than volume debt recovery. For volume debt recovery, we would refer you to Ascent, a specialist debt recovery law firm that's part of the Irwin Mitchell Group.
In respect of debt recovery matters, the team will aim to recover your debt through pre-action correspondence and legal proceedings when needed and agreed with you.
We have set our below our average fee estimates for various values of claims. These costs apply where your claim is in relation to an unpaid invoice which is not disputed and enforcement action is not needed. If the other party disputes your claim at any point, we will discuss any further work required and provide you with revised advice about costs if necessary, which could be on a fixed fee (e.g. if a one off letter is required), or an hourly rate if more extensive work is needed.
Our Estimated Legal Fees
Please note our fees exclude VAT and Court Fees.
|Up to £5,000
Our fees for debt recovery can vary depending on several factors. These factors include the volume of instructions provided to us by a client, the type of debt we are instructed to recover, and the age of that debt.
Your instruction may also attract legal disbursement fees should a claim be made and a judgement enforcement sought from the courts. The below table illustrates the relevant court fees for England and Wales.
Court fees are not subject to VAT. If the claim is successful, the judge will make a decision on what percentage of these fees the debtor is to pay.
|Up to £300
||4.5% of the claim
||5% of the claim
|More than £200,000
Anyone wishing to proceed with a claim should note that:
- The VAT element of our fee cannot be reclaimed from your debtor and recovery of any of your legal costs are governed by the court rules and at the discretion of the court
- Interest and compensation may take the debt into a higher banding, with a higher cost
- The costs quoted above are not for matters where enforcement action, such as the bailiff, is needed to collect your debt.
Our fee includes:
- Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation
- Undertaking appropriate searches
- Sending a letter before action
- Receiving payment and sending onto you, or if the debt is not paid, drafting and issuing claim
- Where no Acknowledgment of Service or Defence is received, applying to the court to enter Judgement in default
- When Judgement in default in received, write to the other side to request payment
- If payment is not received within 21 days, providing you with advice on next steps and likely costs.
Factors that our fees are calculated on:
- Factors that could make a case more complicated
- If it is necessary to make or defend applications, to amend claims
- Reviewing complex contractual documentation
- Complex legal issues
- The age of the debt
- The type of the debt.
Our service includes:
- Taking initial instruction
- Entering into pre-issue correspondence (one letter of claim)
- Telephone and letter collection if needed
- Drafting court papers
- Commencing legal proceedings
- Entering Judgment in default
- Return of Goods
- Asset Recovery
- Charging Orders
- Attachment of Earnings
- Warrants of Execution
- High Court Enforcement
- Orders to Obtain Information
- Complex Litigation
Once instructed, we will endeavour to progress recovery activity as efficiently as possible, and will aim to action your instruction no later than 48 hours following receipt.
Our service does not include advice on any defence filed or steps further to the filing of such a defence. If the other party disputes your claim at any point, we will discuss any further work required and provide you with revised advice about costs if necessary.
Our legally-qualified team of senior associates, associates and solicitors are supervised by a Partner, and supported by expert paralegals and legal assistants with 1 to 25 years of experience.