When a public authority makes any decision, for example about new policy or the procurement of goods and services, it must comply with the law. If they don’t comply with their legal duties, fail to follow the correct procedures or act unreasonably, you can challenge the decision in court by bringing proceedings for judicial review.
Judicial review is an efficient and effective tool to ensure your business and commercial interests are protected at all times. Our solicitors understand how dealing with public authorities – such as central government, local government and regulators – is different from dealing with private companies.
We have extensive experience of giving commercial advice to companies, individuals, charities and community interest groups who want to overturn decisions made by public bodies, as well as challenges made by third parties to decisions that affect company assets.
What We Do
Our judicial review lawyers have extensive experience in a wide variety of public and regulatory law cases, providing legal advice quickly, efficiently and at a reasonable cost.
If we think you have a strong case, we’ll take it as far as is necessary. We’ve previously taken cases all the way to the Supreme Court, the European Court of Justice and the European Court of Human Rights, so we’re not daunted by any challenge.
We can help with cases including:
- Judicial review
- Public law procurement challenges
- Procedural fairness and human rights issues
- Data protection and Freedom of Information
- Confidentiality, privacy and defamation
- Tribunal, statutory appeals and inquires
- Inquest law
- State aids
Why Choose Irwin Mitchell?
As one of the largest law firms in the UK, we provide a wide range of legal services to a diverse range of clients and sectors. Our lawyers adopt a partnership approach, delivering high quality advice that protects your business interests.
Many of the cases we’ve been involved with have changed the law, pushing the boundaries of our legal system.
Contacting us for initial advice will cost you nothing. If we advise you to pursue a legal claim we’ll review with you all the options available for funding your claim. At all times we’ll advise you clearly and impartially on the best options for you and your business.
Our lawyers have been involved in a number of significant cases. They:
- Successfully mediated a settlement between our commercial clients and the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills in relation to the delivery of DSA, a £150m fund for disabled students
- Currently act for a German tobacco company in relation to proceedings in the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) about the intention of the Secretary of State for Health to implement a proposed new Tobacco Directive
- Advised the British Medical Association on the competition law and procurement implications of the Health and Social Care Bill
- Successfully acted for a major energy company resisting an attempt by the local authority to quash the decision to grant planning permission for a renewable energy plant
- Advise on numerous public procurement processes for public and private sector clients, including advice on giving feedback to failed bidders and avoiding challenges
- Act for the English Bridge Union Limited, challenging the policy to only recognise physical activity as a sport
- Acted for Guide Dogs for the Blind in judicial review proceedings against the London Borough of Kensington and Chelsea in relation to the redesign of Exhibition Road
- Have advised a number of care home companies on the setting of the level of fees for residential care.
If you’re looking to challenge a decision made by a public authority, our specialist lawyers can protect your business’ best interests and secure the best possible outcome for you. Give our friendly team a call on 0808 291 4962 or get in touch online.