Tim has considerable experience in real estate disputes both in relation to actual litigation and, more frequently, working with clients to manage their portfolios and avoid disputes. His experience includes all landlord and tenant matters, as well as real property matters such as easements, nuisance and restrictive covenants.
Tim has a national profile in the field of dilapidations, having acted on two of the biggest cases of recent years:
- Acted for the successful defendant in the widely reported Acredart Limited & Car Giant Limited v London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham  EWHC 197 (TCC)
- Acted for the Respondent in the Court of Appeal decision of South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust v Laindon Holdings Ltd (2016).
Other highlights include:
- Acting for an investment landlord in pursuing a large terminal dilapidations claim against a well-known utilities company.
- Advising a company owned by a high net worth individual in connection with the exit strategy of a large industrial unit occupied by a national distribution company. The exit involved serving a repair notice, notice and proceedings under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 as well as initial steps under the Dilapidations Protocol.
- Successfully defended an injunction relating to a substantial noise nuisance claim against an Academy trust. The trial lasted 5 days and involved 5 witnesses and 3 experts.
- Working with a Council in seeking possession of two large multi-occupied sites as part of its regeneration of a town centre.
- Representing a Co-operative in seeking possession in an opposed renewal. The matter was disputed on human rights grounds. The matter settled at mediation.
- Providing on-going advice and support on all property dispute issues to a well-known Birmingham based investor client in relation to its significant and growing commercial property portfolio.
"Tim is an excellent lawyer. "He is very personable with very good client skills - he is also very clear-headed about what the client needs from a particular case and how to get it." - Chambers & Partners, 2021 (Leading Individual - Band 4)
"Tim Rayner is an "excellent property lawyer" who "always thinks two steps ahead." He has a healthy practice encompassing boundary disputes, repair notices and lease renewal conflicts." – Chambers & Partners, 2018
"Names to note include Tim Rayner, who specialises in dilapidations and contested lease renewals" – Legal 500, 2018