I am a Partner at Irwin Mitchell and national head of the Costs Department which was set up in 1999 and is now the largest known internal team in the country with over 100 people. I specialise in all areas of costs law although I have a particular interest in high value, complex claims. I have always been a costs practitioner and enjoy working with clients to resolve costs disputes.
I have always had an interest in the funding of civil litigation, Conditional Fee Agreements, collective and individual and After the Event Insurance. I am also involved with Third Party Funders and developments in this area.
- Co-author – Conditional Fee Agreements (3rd Edition) Law Society publication.
- I was involved in a Civil Justice Council sub-group who looked at the effects of and early signals from the 2013 costs and procedural reforms. The subsequent report "The Scope of Qualified One Way Costs Shifting" has now been published.
- I am a regular lecturer in the area of legal costs and funding of civil litigation.
- I am frequently asked to contribute to the press regarding legal costs issues.
- I have sat on various sub-groups and working parties within the Association of Costs Lawyers, such as "The Introduction of new form Bills of Costs" and "The proposed expansion of Fixed Recoverable Costs in Civil Litigation".
What is the most rewarding aspect of your work?
There is no doubt that achieving the best result for the client is really important to me. I like analysing a claim and finding the best way to challenge or present a claim . I am very proud of my team and their achievements.
What do you like about working at Irwin Mitchell?
Irwin Mitchell has without doubt become part of me and I have spent a long time here. We promote and try to develop our people and provide the best service possible. We are prepared to push legal parameters and be bold.