Sejal is a Senior Associate in the Irwin Mitchell Planning Team and has a diverse practice with expertise in:
- Advising on urban mixed-used regeneration, redevelopment and enabling projects
- Drafting and negotiation of complex planning, highways and infrastructure agreements on behalf of a wide range of clients ranging from landowners and developers to funders and institutions
- Contentious work including planning appeals and judicial reviews
- Environmental issues, in particular nitrate, nutrient and water neutrality mitigation schemes and biodiversity net gain.
Sejal has a particular interest in strategic land and housing, as well as sustainability issues within real estate.
Sejal regularly contributes to Estates Gazette and other specialist property publications. She recently completed the Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership’s ‘Sustainable Real Estate: Creating a better built environment’ course.
- Providing strategic planning advice on and leading negotiations on the planning agreement for a new 33ha mixed-use scheme for 320 dwellings and 3.4ha employment land in Winchester
- Advising on various aspects of a mixed use residential led greenbelt development for 161 units and flexible employment uses including leading on 106 negotiations, advising on reptile translocation and advising on contentious aspects of the matter
- Advising on planning and highway matters for redevelopment of the Sussex County Cricket Ground including leading negotiations on the planning agreement
- Leading on 106 negotiations for a strategic site allocation in Arun with major infrastructure obligations
- Providing strategic planning advice to a major housebuilder on a residential led development for 900 units in Suffolk
- Negotiating the S106 and highways agreement for various education developments, including on behalf of the Greater Brighton Metropolitan College where consent was obtained for redevelopment of the existing college and permission for up to 135 residential units, and another on behalf of the Chichester College for a new STEM building in Crawley
- Leading S106 negotiations for a new contentious mixed-use redevelopment in Crawley for 150+ new residential units and commercial / retail uses
- Advising on planning issues for a major retirement living client on the refinancing of its property portfolio.
"Sejal Patel is someone who goes the extra mile to get the work done when there are problems and pressures. She saves the client unnecessary extra costs without cutting corners to do so. She is friendly and reliable." - Legal 500, 2022
"Sejal Patel – a very bright and approachable individual." - Legal 500, 2022
Judicial Review Deadlines in the Planning Court during the COVID-19 crisis - CoStar Column, 14 April 2020
Crawley Borough Local Plan 2021 – 2037, Gatwick Business Diamond Magazine