I am an Associate Family Law solicitor based in London and Leeds specialising in divorce, dissolution, wealth protection mechanisms, the wider financial consequences of relationship breakdown and children law issues. I advise heterosexual and LGBT+ clients from across the country and internationally with modest assets to high-net-worth individuals.
In respect of financial matters I regularly advise professionals and high net worth individuals during the divorce or dissolution process. I have experience across a breadth of financial issues when people separate, particularly around high income generating individuals, spousal maintenance as well as wider financial portfolio’s issues like family trusts, valuable pensions, business interests and/or issues around inheritance.
I endeavour to settle cases quickly to maximise the benefits of settlement for clients where possible, but often clients need to engage in negotiation or court proceedings to achieve settlement. I have a clear understanding of commercial issues and I am a strong common-sense negotiator.
I hold a Master’s of Law LL.M degree in International Human Rights Law & Practice which is invaluable when advising on complex issues with an international element or which engage human rights issues.
In relation to children law I have experience in domestic and international children law. I have dealt with a variety of complex children law issues and have a particular interest in cases involving:
- Future child arrangements upon relationship breakdown and/or during difficult periods where parents cannot agree a way forward
- Relocation of children – within England and internationally
- Child abduction
- LGBT+ children law issues – be it LGBT+ parents or children
- Parental alienation issues.
I regularly work with heterosexual clients, but I have expertise in LGBT+ family law issues. I regularly work with LGBT+ professionals to advise on financial issues around divorce / dissolution, children law issues when same sex couples separate and in family creation like surrogacy for people wishing to start a family.
I have been extensively published and regularly feature in leading legal journals, the national press and radio in relation to family law, LGBT+ family law issues and human rights.
What inspired you to get into law?
I wanted to be at the forefront of the profession to be able to influence law reform.
What is the most rewarding aspect of your role?
My job is a privilege. I advocate for my clients on a daily basis during one of the most distressing moments in their life. My intervention is pivotal and will impact on a client’s future success and happiness. The reward is being the person trusted to drive forward the plan of action.
What do you do away from the office?
I continue to be engaged in academic legal issues. I often lecture on family law, LGBT+ legal issues and human rights. I have also published widely on family law and human rights law in legal journals as well as in the national press and radio. I also sit as an undergraduate admissions interview tutor at a leading Russell Group university law school.
On a lighter note I enjoy a good glass of wine with friends at the weekend. I run most evenings and play golf in the summer.
What clients say about me
"Scott is technically excellent and absolutely diligent in his approach. He is a good strategist and very intellectually sound. Scott has specialist knowledge in all matters concerning LGBTQ issues in family law." - Legal 500, 2021 (Rising Star)
"Scott Halliday is the most nicest, approachable and lovely Solicitor, a truly asset to the family law team. He dealt with my matter very professionally and in an extremely timely manner. He is really friendly and makes any issues seem minimal. I cannot recommend him enough for any family law issues. His response time is unbelievably fast and his advice is the strongest and best. He really is one of the best lawyers! Thank you Scott for everything." 5* Trustpilot review
"Scott and his team have been professional, efficient and knowledgeable during my dissolution. Endings are always difficult and Scott was there to reassure me, be a sounding board to my occasional rants and in many ways walked alongside me during the process. He always listened to my point of view and how I wanted to approach things being fair and kind... that’s what we did. I never felt railroaded or compromised. Fabulous team." 5* Trustpilot review
"Scott was so understanding, empathetic and was very reassuring to both me and my partner every step of the way. We felt like we had an ally, someone who understood our case nearly as much as we did, and someone who was just honest throughout the process. We worked as a team, and always respected and took on the advice we were given as we trusted Scott to have our best interest at heart at all times."
His expertise and experience in family law is second to none, and he is extremely methodological and strategic in his approach that meant we were always at ease. I cannot recommend Scott enough, and if there was one thing I would sum up my experience working with Scott, it would be that he genuinely cared." 5* Trustpilot review
"He is an extraordinary lawyer - genuinely felt like he was on my side. He was responsive and kept me up to date at each step along the way. The divorce process is extremely emotional and stressful - the process would've been much worse if I didnt have Scott as my lawyer. He went above and beyond for me - and I really appreciate it." 5* Trustpilot review
"Scott Halliday in the Family Law team has been amazing - would highly recommend him and Irwin Mitchell to anyone in need of great legal advice and support" 5* Trustpilot review
"Scott goes to the next level when it comes to giving a service to his clients…his knowledge of family law is more befitting of someone who has been in the industry for over 20 years and I would highly recommend his services for anybody wanting to achieve the best possible outcome for themselves in a divorce, especially where there are children involved."
"He was amazing throughout my case"
"Scott never ceases to impress with his dedication to his clients who he provides a first class service. He has a keen eye for detail and produces impeccable work. He has great ability to give complex decisions clarity and demonstrates superb knowledge of the law. Very highly recommended." - Julia Nelson, Barrister, Park Lane Plowden, Leeds
"Scott is an excellent family lawyer…. combining brilliant client care, diligence and commitment to a case with realistic and practical advice" - Julia Townend, Barrister, 4 Papers Buildings, London
"Scott is the complete family lawyer; he combines his impressive knowledge not only for the law but for the nuances around family law that others gloss over. He is fastidious in all aspects of his case preparation, with a keen awareness of strategy and tactics. He is thoroughly professional and yet has an empathy and understanding for clients in the most difficult circumstances. He protects and looks after his clients prioritising their needs above everything else. Any client should want Scott in their corner. Any barrister would want Scott as their instructing solicitor. Scott is a first-class family solicitor, there are few better." - John Jackson, Barrister, Park Lane Plowden, Leeds
"Scott is an expert in international children’s cases. I have worked with him on a number of international cases this year. He is intelligent, great with clients and really understands the strategic points.’ - Michael Edwards, Barrister, 4 Paper Buildings, London
- “Let children speak to Judges”, The Times Legal Brief, 2017
- “Should children be heard in court?, Family Law, 2017
- “Surrogacy Law Reform”, Family Law Journal, (2018) 48(2) 229
- “Constitutionalising Family Law and Justice: Framing a Role for the Appellate Courts in the Family Jurisdiction” Academia.edu, 2018
- “Civil Partnerships, human rights, constitutionalism and the UK Supreme Court” Family Law Journal, (2018) 48(5) 608
- “Family: Transgender and the law”, CityWealth, 2018
- “Heterosexual civil partnerships, legal hegemony and the future of relationship status” European Convention on Human Rights Sexual Orientation, 2018
- “Supreme Court declares Civil Partnership Act incompatible with human rights law” Family Law, 2018
- “Civil partnerships could open to all after supreme court rules they are discriminatory” Daily Telegraph, 2018
- “Transgender parents, registration of children at birth and human rights” Family Law, 2018
- “The future of Civil Partnerships in an era of human rights incompatibility: An analysis of Steinfeld & Keidan” , Family Law Journal, (2018) 48(8) 942
- “An Introduction to the English Legal System” Law Society Gazette, Book Review, 2018
- “Family Justice Council Annual Debate 2018: ‘Nothing to hide – what’s wrong with covert recordings?’” Family Law Journal , (2019) 49(2)
- “Trans Man Named Mother Of His Child In ‘Breach Of Human Rights’, Experts Say” RightsInfo, 2019
- “A High Court Judge Has Ruled That 'Mother' No Longer Means 'Woman' Buzzfeed, 2019
- “Trans man who gave birth loses historic court battle to be named his child’s father” PinkNews, 2019
- Published public lecture – “LGBT+ family law reform – paradoxes in policy and procedure” Queen Mary University of London School Of Politics lecture
- “Trans Man Banned From Legally Being Called Father by Courts” Out Magazine , 2020
- “Trans man who gave birth is fighting back after court legally declared his child’s mother” Pink News, 2020