Maddie specialises in commercial litigation and dispute resolution. She has broad experience in a variety of complex, high value commercial disputes within the High Court and Supreme Court of England and Wales, including:
- Contractual disputes
- Commercial disputes
- Fraud and asset recovery
- Claims against financial services institutions
- Shareholder disputes
- Professional negligence claims against accountants, tax advisors and lawyers
Maddie has also undertaken training seats in the regulatory and criminal team and employment team, providing valuable experience in regulatory investigations work and professional discipline matters.
- Assisting in the case of Frederick v Positive Solutions (Financial Services) Ltd on the issue of vicarious liability of principals for their agents, at the Supreme Court stage.
- Assisting in the asset recovery and enforcement elements of a contractual dispute with civil fraud elements which involved losses of around £15 million.
- Successfully settling a multi-million pound High Court claim on behalf of a group of US companies against a merchant bank for contractual breaches and/or breaches of trust.
- Advising a party to a Joint Venture development property valued at upwards of £20 million on enforcement of the JV Agreement; an unfair prejudice petition and bringing committal proceedings for breach of court orders.
- Assisting on a High Court claim for a HNWI against a City law firm for negligent tax advice in respect of an SDLT scheme which was successfully challenged by HMRC.
- Assisting on the successful Supreme Court Appeal in the case of Gilham v Ministry of Justice which secured a landmark judgment conferring the right to pursue whistleblowing complaints onto the Judiciary.
“How it all came together in less than a week I have no idea. Maddie was totally amazing & masterminded the whole thing.” - Instructing client when acting on behalf of a City Council in preparation for a hearing concerning a large scale service charge dispute.
Maddie qualified as a solicitor in 2019.