Glenn is a Partner and is the Head of the Employment teams based in Leeds, Sheffield and Manchester at Irwin Mitchell.
His client experience includes providing support to a number of large and small businesses in a variety of different fields and he is a key adviser and the relationship partner to some of the Employment and Pension Group’s key national clients. These include the likes of Capita Group’s HR Function, the Eddisons Group and a number of well-known PLC clients.
An experienced Employment Tribunal advocate, Glenn also advises on a wide range of employment law matters including the enforcement and defence of restrictive covenants, advising on senior level appointments and exits, outsourcing, acquisitions and disposals including Transfer of Undertakings, Protection of Employment (TUPE) issues, large scale reorganisations and redundancy, discrimination and equality issues.
He is the lead partner for our Restrictive Covenant product – IM Protect – and one of the leaders in the growth of our IMhrplus product. Glenn is also responsible for ensuring that any work that is “north shored” to achieve costs savings for our clients is handled efficiently and harmoniously.
Glenn also regularly presents at seminars and training events organised by the firm, has been the judge at a number of Mock Tribunal events arranged for clients and has presented seminars for third parties and clients/contacts. He is also a member of the Employment Lawyers Association.
- Defending the Lincolnshire Partnership Trust at Tribunal and Employment Appeal Tribunal, in relation to a significant and lengthy whistleblowing and multi-discrimination case brought against them with an approximate value of £200,000.
- Providing strategic advice on on-boarding for a number of clients, advising on the enforceability of restrictive covenants and strategies for avoiding issues in this regard.
- Advised a large steel manufacturer on the purchase of a major site in Wales on how to structure the purchase to minimise the risk of TUPE applying.
- Advised a number of high profile Chief Executives/Managing Directors on their departures from their employment, including dealing with all issues surrounding shareholding and taxation.
- Advised a large South Yorkshire (Indian owned) manufacturer on the dismissal of their Managing Director and the process for doing so.
- Advised a law firm on the employment implications of a geographical move of premises and the enforcement of mobility clauses in contracts of employment.
"He provides clear advice, is approachable and comes up with practical solutions to complex problems. He is very knowledgeable in employment law and its application, and demonstrates an unambiguously pragmatic approach at all times." – Chambers & Partners, 2021 (Leading Individual - band 3)
"Glenn Hayes is one of the few lawyers I hear rated by fellow solicitors and mutual clients alike. He has built up a well-deserved reputation for being an expert in his field and a trusted adviser." – Legal 500, 2021
"He is very commercial in his approach and understands our organisation’s culture, which helps to ensure the advice given is in line with our objectives." – Chambers & Partners, 2020
"Glenn Hayes is a sensible, no nonsense lawyer who offers practical and commercial advice. His staff follow in his footsteps." – Legal 500, 2020
He "gets right to the heart of the issue and deals with issues head on; he's very realistic and understands clients' businesses and how they operate." – Chambers & Partners, 2018
He is "a straight-talking no-nonsense lawyer who gets straight to the point with sound and unequivocal advice." – Chambers & Partners, 2017
Glenn qualified as a solicitor in 2002.