Loved Ones And Lawyers Seeking Information On Chromium Exposure
The family of a Sheffield grandfather who sadly died from lung cancer have joined with legal experts to call on his former workmates to come forward and help them discover if the illness may be linked to one of his old jobs.
Melvyn Ward died aged 73, at the end of August 2017, just a couple of weeks after he attended hospital struggling with increasing levels of breathlessness and symptoms which indicated sepsis.
A subsequent post-mortem examination concluded that he had died as a result of various factors, including a chest infection, lung cancer and exposure to materials such as chromium – with the amount of the latter in his lung tissue being around twice the background normal population level.
Following the news, Melvyn’s family instructed specialist workplace illness lawyers at Irwin Mitchell’s Sheffield office to investigate how he came to be exposed to chromium and whether it may have been linked to his working life.
As part of their ongoing investigations, the legal experts are now appealing for anyone who worked with Melvyn at either Firma Chrome Plating Co Ltd, between 1969 and 1987, or Carver Plating Co Ltd, from 1988 to 1997, to come forward and shed light on the presence of chromium at either site.
Expert Opinion“Our clients remain understandably devastated by the death of Melvyn and continue to hold many questions regarding how he ultimately died.
We now believe he may have been exposed to chromium during his work and would be keen to hear from anyone who may be able to provide further information regarding this.
Any detail could prove absolutely vital as we look to help our clients get the answers and justice they deserve regarding their loved one’s death.”
David Johnston-Keay - Senior Associate Solicitor
Following his death, Melvyn’s son Andrew recalled how his work at Firma Chrome Plating Co Ltd involved plating various pieces of metal with a chrome-based solution as he worked alongside his dad for a short period of time. He undertook similar work at Carver Plating Co Ltd.
His wife Jean, 71, said: “Melvyn was a hugely loved husband, father and grandfather and the entire family still misses him so much every day.
“While we know nothing will ever bring him back, we are determined to try and get answers regarding how he became exposed to chromium and whether more could have been done to prevent it from happening.
“We would be hugely grateful to anyone who may be able to help us learn more about the terrible circumstances which ultimately led to Melvyn’s death.”
Anyone with information which may assist this case is asked to contact David Johnston-Keay at Irwin Mitchell’s Sheffield office on 0114 274 4420 or email David.Johnston-Keay@IrwinMitchell.com.
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling asbestos-related disease cases