Northern General Hospital Affected By Norovirus Outbreak Experts Call For Hygiene To Be Top Priority 26.11.2012 Illness lawyers at Irwin Mitchell have called for hygiene to be a top priority following reports that an outbreak of norovirus has led to the closure of four wards at the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield. Three wards at the hospital were originally closed last Monday (November 19th), with another shut a day later following news of more cases of illness. Local media have revealed that visitors have been urged to not visit the affected wards at the hospital, particularly if they have been unwell in the previous 72 hours, following the introduction of measures to prevent the spread of the illness. Anyone who does visit has also been asked to wash their hands when entering or leaving the ward. Irwin Mitchell’s specialist lawyers represent victims who have suffered serious health problems as a result of outbreaks of illness in the UK and abroad, including those affected by norovirus. Suki Chhokar, a Partner and expert in illness cases at the national law firm, said: “The impact that norovirus can have on sufferers should not be underestimated. We have seen numerous occasions when people have been left with lasting health problems as a result of illness that they have contracted. “It is not uncommon for hospitals to be affected by outbreaks in winter months, but it is vital that steps are taken to ensure that the problems can be fully investigated. “Such work should ensure that steps can be taken to reduce the likelihood of the same issues from emerging again, potentially keeping a huge number of people safe from harm in the process. Hygiene needs to be a top priority and it is vital that everything is being done to keep patients, visitors and staff safe.” Tags Personal Injury Group Claims Suki Chhokar Birmingham Related articles 20.09.2017Mental Health Trust Pays Damages To Family Of Vulnerable Man Who Died In High Rise Fire 20.09.2017Landmark Legal Ruling Will Allow Doctors to Withdraw Treatment To Those Suffering Debilitating Diseases if Families Agree 20.09.2017Inquest Finds Alzheimer Suffer Died Due To Ingesting Chlorine Tablets 19.09.2017Two Women Instruct Lawyers After Being Abused By Dr Philip Schuppler 19.09.2017Specialist Public Health Lawyers Instructed After Dry Ice Cocktail Drank at The Alchemist ‘Leaves Man With Severe Stomach Burns'