Death Of Family Man Prompts Safety Change Calls
The family of a man who died at a Whit Friday festival after he and his young son were struck by a coach have welcomed a Coroner's call for marshalling at the event to be changed in the interests of public safety.
The call comes after an inquest into the death of 57-year-old Alan Chamberlain took place at Stockport Coroners Court today (Monday 8th August 2011) where Coroner John Pollard said he would write a letter to organisers of the celebration to ask 'in a non-critical way' for marshalling to be reviewed after recording a verdict of accidental death.
The loving husband, father of five, step dad of two and grandfather of four, from Hyde, died after being hit by an 18 ton coach as he and his son Zak, then aged 8, watched a brass band procession in Greenfield on 28th May last year.
Retired delivery driver Alan suffered multiple serious injuries and extensive internal bleeding in the accident. Despite efforts to treat him at Tameside hospital he died a day later. Zak suffered serious bruising but has since made a full recovery.
Katie Pysden, Serious Injury Solicitor at Irwin Mitchell's Manchester office, is representing the Chamberlains following their loss. She said: "Losing Alan so suddenly came as a terrible shock to Tracy and her family who are desperate for lessons to be learnt from the tragedy.
"I welcome the Coroner's decision to write to the organisers of the event - hundreds of families attend the festival each year, the last thing anyone wants is for what should be an enjoyable family day out to end in disaster for anyone else."
Commenting on her ordeal, Alan's wife Tracy, said: "The past months have been so terribly difficult for me and my family, especially as we didn't get the chance to say goodbye to Alan.
"Although nothing will ever bring Alan back we hope that organisers of the festival - that he loved so much and that we enjoyed going to as a family - will make changes to next years event so no other families are robbed of their future together."