0370 1500 100

Lawyer Demands Urgent Investigations Over Latest Reports Of Illness At Holiday Village Turkey

Holidaymakers Report Poor Hygiene Standards At Turkish Hotel


Specialist travel lawyers at Irwin Mitchell have expressed their “utter frustration” and hearing that yet more guests have fallen ill at the Holiday Village Turkey in Sarigerme.

The firm is urging tour operators to carry out an investigation after being contacted for the sixth consecutive year by people taken ill at the resort.

Holiday Village Turkey has previously been featured on the BBC’s Watchdog programme because of illness outbreaks.

In 2009 more than 1,000 people were taken ill at the resort and more than 700 of those asked Irwin Mitchell to help them seek compensation.

One family who fell ill at the resort this year told Irwin Mitchell that they were aware of at least 50 other guests suffering with illness. The family’s frustration increased when they learned of the previous illness outbreaks.

Clive Garner, Head of Travel law at Irwin Mitchell, said “Having dealt with claims from this hotel for five years in succession, we are utterly frustrated to hear that there are problems at Holiday Village Turkey for a SIXTH year. What makes this all the more disappointing is that the hotel was featured on BBC’s "Watchdog" last summer and the issues raised by our most recent clients again echo those highlighted on the programme.”

Lisa Ackerly, the hygiene expert who visited the Holiday Village in Turkey for Watchdog to investigate claims made by furious holidaymakers, revealed serious failings in health and safety including no hot water available for staff in areas of food handling and traces of faeces found on ice in the snack bar area which she said would all lead to an increase in the risk of infection”.

She said: “No-one wants to go on holiday and be poorly but the horrendous history of this hotel shows that, disgracefully, there is a better than average chance of that happening if you go to the Holiday Village Turkey.”

Lynn Gannon and her husband Peter travelled to the resort with their children Shaun and Ellis. The family are demanding answers from tour operator First Choice as to why their holiday was ruined by illness after years of previous problems.

Mrs Gannon described how the entire family suffered from gastric illness while on holiday at the resort in September this year.

“On the surface the hotel appeared to be fine, but on closer inspection the hygiene standards in the public area of the hotel were absolutely disgraceful,” said Mrs Gannon. “The food was often undercooked and at almost every meal we saw staff serving old food mixed with new food. We were also very concerned about the main pools as we were aware of numerous faecal ‘accidents’ - yet the pools never seemed to be cleaned properly.

“We saved up so that the four of us could enjoy a lovely family holiday abroad and take the time to celebrate Shaun’s birthday, and ultimately our illnesses ruined it. To learn of its history, and that First Choice are still sending guests there, has added insult to injury.”

Other holidaymakers have posted reviews on TripAdvisor claiming that they also suffered illness at the hotel and reporting poor food hygiene standards.

Clive Garner adds that Irwin Mitchell now hopes that First Choice will agree swift and fair compensation for holidaymakers so that they can put the experience behind them. He said: “We are seriously concerned by both the illness suffered by Mrs Gannon and her family, as well as the reports being uploaded onto TripAdvisor about holidaymakers continuing to become ill as a result of poor hygiene standards at the Holiday Village Turkey.

“First Choice need to sit down with us and negotiate a fair settlement for each holidaymaker who has suffered as a result of their stay at this hotel. It is also imperative that the continuing problems at Holiday Village Turkey are eradicated once and for all. If First Choice can’t do this, then they should stop sending their customers there."