0370 1500 100

British Holidaymakers Suffer Egyptian Holiday Hell

Tourists stayed at Hauza Beach Hotel


More than 15 British tourists, who described the five-star Egyptian hotel they travelled to earlier this year as an insect-infested hell hole, are considering taking legal action their lawyers confirmed today.

Travel litigation experts at law firm Irwin Mitchell are investigating the holidaymakers’ claims that the under-cooked food provided at the all-inclusive Hauza Beach Hotel has left them with serious gastric problems.

David Harle, from the north east, says his £2,000 all-inclusive trip in June this year was ruined when he and his wife Judith fell ill with severe stomach problems – he was so ill he lost a stone in weight and is taking legal action against tour operator Thomas Cook.

Suki Chhokar, a partner at Irwin Mitchell, said: “We have received enquiries from more than a dozen other holidaymakers who travelled with several different travel companies and whose stories are similar to Mr Harle’s. It is simply unacceptable. Why is it that the health and welfare of British tourists is put at risk time and again?

“We can’t stress enough how important it is for travel companies and hotels to take the health and safety of their guests seriously. People look forward to their holidays and it is time they can never get back. We have now started legal action against three different travel companies on behalf of a number our clients and we would urge these companies to accept liability quickly so that our clients can put this ordeal behind them.”

Mr Harle, from Seaham in County Durham, said: “It was meant to be a five-star hotel – I wouldn’t even give it two stars. It was an absolute nightmare and the holiday was totally ruined. I’d never been to Egypt before and based on this experience I won’t be going back.

“On arrival everything seemed ok, but as soon as we sat down to eat we realised this wasn’t the case. The food was either tepid or just raw in the middle.  The tureens were left open and there were flies everywhere.

“This didn’t improve and just a couple of days later my wife’s stomach turned bad, with mine following soon afterwards. My symptoms were so bad and left me so dehydrated that I had to get an injection from the on-site clinic. We were both then stuck at the hotel, just watching other people falling ill around us.

“Most people going on an all-inclusive holiday would expect to put on some weight, but I lost about a stone.

“It wasn’t just flies – we sat by the poolside for afternoon coffee one day and realised that birds were landing on and eating the cake that was being given out. If you asked me to sum up the hotel I’d say it was an insect-infested hell hole!”